What causes these artifacts when camera seeing moving person?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I see what people are saying about the router. Thanks @Santeesticks and @wittaj. My traffic is going through the router, but the source (camera) and the sink (my computer) are all hardwired, and therefore it's going through the switch part of the router. It basically is the same as a switch. No wifi involved.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the network recommendations. The camera is only capable of like 17mbps. It's not a lot of bandwidth, and if everything is hardwired, shouldn't pose an issue even for a measly 100mbps home network.
Again, I know you dont want to believe it and it may not be the issue in your case, but the vast majority of these types of issues are a direct result of the setup such as yours. It is not the same as a switch. This has been proven over and over again.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure your Power Plan is set to performance not Power saver mode, also try lowering the bitrate to around 8000 as 13000 seems a little high.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure your Power Plan is set to performance not Power saver mode, also try lowering the bitrate to around 8000 as 13000 seems a little high.
Looking over my settings for the camera, I don't see a power plan setting. Is that something that's on other IPC-Color4K-T?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
RedFive: You think I can just get a gigabit switch and plug the NVR, RJ45 convertor, and the household router into it and it will work. As you are probably aware, the remote cameras all have a 196.1.1.... IP address.

Looktall: There are multiple cameras on the from a gigabit POE switch feeding the fiber to J45 convertor at the remote location and it runs up here at the house to the fiber/J45 convertor that plugs into the household router.

Thank you for your help guys, much appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RedFive: You think I can just get a gigabit switch and plug the NVR, RJ45 convertor, and the household router into it and it will work. As you are probably aware, the remote cameras all have a 196.1.1.... IP address.
ljw2k: Where is the Power Plan setting, NVR, Camera, etc?
Looktall: There are multiple cameras on the from a gigabit POE switch feeding the fiber to J45 convertor at the remote location and it runs up here at the house to the fiber/J45 convertor that plugs into the household router.

Thank you for your help guys, much appreciated.
The PowerPlan is not in the camera or NVR.

The PowerPlan refers to the power saving settings of a PC - like when to turn off the HDD, put the system to sleep, turn off the monitor etc.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Instead of plugging the convertor on the house end of the fibre run into your router, plug it into your NVR.
This will bypass the router and you can then test for performance issues knowing that the router will not be the cause if any issues still exist.

MyDaHua

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with VLC only on one camera from 8 and the problem was VLC Codec setting: Hardware-accelerated decoding need to be on Disable.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have the "stutter" issue as well but I use a Dahua NVR instead of BI and a computer. The issue is from the 4k cameras going through the fiber optic back to the house from a garage 200 yards away. The 1 gig fiber optic convertor goes into the router that feeds the NVR. I suspect the router is the choke point, how can I bypass the router/modem and go direct to the NVR?
Lack of information ...

Are you posting that you have a fiber optic between a camera in garage to a router in house or do you have a fiber supported switch inside the garage with several cameras plugged into it and a fiber optic from garage switch to a router in the house using a fiber convertor to plug it into a router?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TechBill:

I have several 4k cameras at the garage connected to a 6 port 10/100/1000 unmanaged switch that connects to a Fiber to RJ45 convertor. Fiber optic from there to the house and then to a fiber/RJ45 convertor, the convertor is plugged into the household router that also connects to the Dahua NVR and internet. My thought would be to use a Cisco CBS110-16T-D switch here at the house and plug the Fiber/RJ45 Convertor, NVR and router/Modem into the Cisco switch instead of the way it is presently. Thoughts? Will this work?

I also have an additional router plugged into the main router since I need additional RJ45 ports that may be causing traffic issues with the main router that the modem plugs into, not sure.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
I also have an additional router plugged into the main router since I need additional RJ45 ports that may be causing traffic issues with the main router that the modem plugs into, not sure.
Generally, plugging a router into a router is usually frowned upon. If you need additional ports, that is what a switch is for. Replace that second router with a switch.

Reaction score
This is in broad daylight, so there's plenty of light, not sure why. This is on the new Dahua IPC-Color4K-T.

For encoding, I've tried h265 as well as h264. Backlight set to WDR.

Besides the weird artifact, it seems like when I walk into the scene, the video stutters - like it stops updating. Then resumes after a few seconds of no updates. I'm recording these from VLC, playing stream directly from the camera URL.

View attachment 144129

View attachment 144130

View attachment 144131
I had the exact same issue as you. In my case, it had nothing to do with my network setup (All cameras go back to gigabit poe switches and they are secluded from my main network). Andy sent me a new firmware, (V3.120.0000000.2.R, Build Date: 2022-10-21). After updating and doing a factory default, it appears the issue has been resolved. I just updated so I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next day or two. If you're still having this issue I suggest reaching out to @EMPIRETECANDY for the new firmware.