What changes needed, if changing cell service, or router?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have just switched cellular carriers and I can't see my cameras on my phone anymore.
I'm using OpenVPN and UI3.
What should I change?
I have also noticed, that my WAN address has changed. I don't understand why, though.
OpenVPN it seems like it is still connecting though.
I should redo the OpenVPN?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to re-create the "client.vpn" file and install the new one onto your phone. OpenVPN need to know about the WAN IP address change. It might be a good idea to use a DDNS service, built into an Asus router or available from IPCT to keep IP addressing out of the mix. If you do that you'll need to export the "client.vpn" file again and install it on your phone again.

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for that.
I thought that is what I have to do, but I hate doing it. Specially on the phone part.
I was hoping, that there is an easier solution.
I think the I will put a hold on this, until I'll get my S22 Ultra in.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have redone the openvpn, and it connects to my phone, but ui3 won't show up, only the white startup screen.
What else I'm forgetting here?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Did your local LAN address for the BI machine change? If so you need to use that address for either the BI phone app or when using UI3 with a browser from your phone. Don't forget to use the port number at the end for UI3.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Lan address did not change. I have switched cellular carriers, that is all that has changed. port :811 is there at the end.
"Use an HTTPS port (Stunnel/NGROK) has to be checked?
If I check it with the open port site, this address shows that is closed.
What is interesting, that I can't access my USB plugged in hard drive in my router either. It looks like something has changed in my router.
Map network does not bring up my router, though the media/file/printer sharing is enabled.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure the port that OpenVPN is using is open in the router. It's also possible that your new cell provider won't allow forwarding of that port to block VPN use (they want to track everything). If that's the case you can try changing the port for OpenVPN to something else.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have switched from T-Mobile to Mint mobile, and that caused this issue.
I have found a thread, that solved my issue.
Basically, I needed to make another APN configuration that is meant for Mint, and now it works.
Here is the thread with the settings:
Thank you for your help.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation from changing from Consumers Cellular to USMobile. Needed a specific APN to get the phone going for SMS and data. SO far, no voice yet but that's because the phone is an ATT, supposedly cracked, and USMobile uses Verizon. New phone on the way.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm too cheap for the S22. Got an S10+. I'm not interested in having the latest and greatest. It's a phone to me with the advantage of being able to surf the internet when needed. I hate being on the phone and hate texting even more, big fingers and cell keyboards don't mix well.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about the price, either. I will be paying it for three years. First time doing that, but at least Samsung will give 4 OS updates for that, so I can keep it longer. My Note 8 does not get anything anymore.