What do most of you do for runs over 350 feet?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would just run some cat 6 wire out there and Chances are 99% that it will work. I think you have a 20% shot that it will just auto-negotiate down to 10/100.
He's gonna have to somehow protect that Cat6 cable from being cut or damaged, which probably means going under ground. I buried gray PVC electrical conduit underground for my Cat6 camera feeds and then went 13-feet up a 4x4 post to the cameras. There are no exposed cables anywhere and everything is protected.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He's gonna have to somehow protect that Cat6 cable from being cut or damaged, which probably means going under ground. I buried gray PVC electrical conduit underground for my Cat6 camera feeds and then went 13-feet up a 4x4 post to the cameras. There are no exposed cables anywhere and everything is protected.
My read on it was it was indoors-- albeit it in a building that was open in the front. Can the wire not be run on the ceiling?

I thought the question was more about the distance here.

But I agree with you entirely. I just spent the weekend replacing a cable at a relatives house on a camera that overlooks a dock. I buried it 90% of the way to the bushes and ran it 10 feet along the ground. It worked great until the landscaper decided to trim the hedges overlooking the water....

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I just went and talked to him and I think I have it figured out on what we can do. I'm going to be moving the switch and power to the other side of the totally enclosed building. That will put it 70' closer to the farthest away PTZ camera. I told him that was the only way we could get it to work, and he was okay with that. So, now we will only have about 280' or so of a cable run. So, I think with the new move, it should work out fine. Thanks for all the advice, that got me thinking of what needed to be done.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep mind there is
That's all dependent on how much more he wants to spend doing this. It's not like it is cheap to build this building and will take a lot to get it wired since is is not an inside finished building. It would take hundreds of feet of conduit and electrical wire, and electricians. Probably a $20,000 or more job to get it semi done.
Years down the road when he decides he wants power out there, point him back to my post where I said it would be easier and cheaper to do it during construction build out…