What do you think of Dahua's "Uyghur Warnings"?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck. Wish you no ill will.
I'm not here to argue with people simply to contribute when and where I can. This is also followed by lending my views on current technology and how it impacts all of us. It's undisputed that splitting of the atom changed the world but once again man decided to piss it away and do the only two things man is good at.

Taking & Killing . . .

Instead of using it strictly for power generation man used it for weapons . . .

This is exactly where we are with video analytics and this whole Uyghur scanning. Instead of being used to identify meaningful things (name what ever) man once again has decided to abuse the tech! This doesn't surprise me but than again that's what man does because we are too stupid to know better. So once again, I am not in favor or support such abuse of the technology.

But, affirm once again the confidence level is something I have to see for myself because I don't see it breaking 20%!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A similar discussion except on this side of the pond...

AI is great and all, but it is another tool in the toolbox. I would never use a camera AI to determine if my garage door should be opened or a door unlocked...but I know some that do.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
A similar discussion except on this side of the pond...

No doubt the use and advancement of this technology has grown leaps and bounds. What always saddens me is seeing good technology being abused vs advancing our place in the universe. :puke: Both Dahua & Hikvision have single handily pushed high tech analytics to the average consumer at rock bottom prices.

Now if they were able to offer all the best in class tech at sub $100.00 that would be ground breaking for us all.

Being able to purchase a $100.00 small turret, dome, bullet camera that did PTZ, LPR, People Counting Metrics, Auto Tracking, 24.7.365 Color, Thermal, Tagging, etc.

That would be great to see . . .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or at night when IR is being used....good luck with that telling you the race of the person...

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned, not surprising. I read your article(s) on IPVM. Apparently HiK also had? This functionality of skin color /ethnicity / Uyghur-detection in 2019 as well.

Is it disturbing that the CCP is using it for ill intentioned surveillance? You bet it is. Google, Farcebook and others have bent over to help the CCP and I’d be willing to bet a number of other companies, tech and non-tech have/do too. But in order to boycott the CCP I’d need to return my fridge, TV, car, and toaster.

As one of the comments on your story of Feb 9 said, there are also analytics being built into many cameras that attempt to recognize Age and Gender, are those ok? Where does one stop with AI attributes? Should I boycott Dahua and HiK because they also include Skin Color - White?

The US government knows just about everything about me. What I eat, where I travel, what music and movies I listen to/watch, how much I make, what ammo I buy, my height, weight, eye color, health, the people I associate with, my phone conversations, what I post on IPCT, just about everything.
Up until recently they kept that info close to the vest and didn’t openly acknowledge abusing it.... The technology isn’t the problem, it’s the folks with the power to use it with evil intent that are the problem.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned, not surprising. I read your article(s) on IPVM. Apparently HiK also had? This functionality of skin color /ethnicity / Uyghur-detection in 2019 as well.

Is it disturbing that the CCP is using it for ill intentioned surveillance? You bet it is. Google, Farcebook and others have bent over to help the CCP and I’d be willing to bet a number of other companies, tech and non-tech have/do too. In order to boycott the CCP I’d need to return my fridge and toaster.

As one of the comments on your story of Feb 9 said, there are also analytics being built into many cameras that attempt to recognize Age and Gender, are those ok? Where does one stop with AI attributes? Should I boycott Dahua and HiK because they also include Skin Color - White?

The US government knows just about everything about me. What I eat, where I travel, what music and movies I listen to/watch, how much I make, what ammo I buy, my height, weight, eye color, the people I associate with, my phone conversations, what I post on IPCT, just about everything.
Up until recently they kept that info close to the vest and didn’t openly acknowledge abusing it.... The technology isn’t the problem, it’s the folks with the power to use it with evil intent that are the problem.
+1

I'll add with 90% of every piece of electronics or widget made in China its very hard to Let your wallet speak. All people can realistically do is what the OP did and bring awareness to the general public.

It's been said in the past more people have died from Shame & Pride . . .

Like many other ethnic groups shame has a great impact on the Chinese people. The problem is this is a Government driven program which doesn't have anything to do with the general Chinese public. As of this writing the Chinese CCP has over taken Russia as the longest lasting communist party in modern history. Maybe this and many more discussions will shame Dahua / Others from advancing this technology.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I think peoples opinion also changes when you can get it in your house

I used to be be against ALPR because it was too big brother for me, now I'm doing ALPR on two cams because I want to see who is coming past my house

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think peoples opinion also changes when you can get it in your house

I used to be be against ALPR because it was too big brother for me, now I'm doing ALPR on two cams because I want to see who is coming past my house
Not only that, you actually call the police every time someone flicks a booger out of their nose into your yard :p....and the police actually show up!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for the last two hours and might break down and ask if we can purchase the camera called out in the OPS video. The obvious problem is I don't know of any so called:

Uyghur

I guess asking three dozen Chinese students from the University to walk by might yield some metrics. I don't suspect the hardware will yield much information as to how one person is identified as being Uyghur vs not?!? If anyone has solid technical information as to how this is done and what confidence level is seen - loved to read about it.

It's doubtful submitting such a request would be approved based on the premise of ethnic filtering. So maybe I'll just say this is the latest hardware that needs to be considered for Beta trials. :lmao: Maybe Andy will do me a solid and ship one my way for personal testing instead! :headbang:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shikes this is absolutely disturbing, but conforms what I suspected.
A lot has been made of the amount of cams being installed in China, but here in Oz we have always had lots of camera, who really knows how the government uses them and for what.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
China,... what happens in China..

Xi Jinping’s Secret Daughter | A Dangerous Disclosure

Tortured for revealing Xi Jinping's secret daughter? Has Xi Jinping's secret daughter Xi Mingze been revealed? Xi Mingze went to Harvard University, but no pictures of her are public. But her information has been allegedly released on China's version of the dark web, wiki websites the Chinese Communist Party calls Esu Circle. The release of her photo has been blamed on one Chinese tech prodigy. But did he confess under torture?

This is what the Marxistcrats(Democrats) want here. 8 years in prison to a 21yo who posted the picture :confused:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm guessing facekinis could be as common as coats in the future. May explain the rise in Chinese culture:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How many times do we have to stress that the world needs to boycott China, that includes importing and buying anything that comes from China's mainland. And yet, a good number of people from countries continue to crave, shop, consume, incur debt by buying trash from China. Bet the soy sauce imported from PRC contains goat semen but people will still salivate, crave, and finger-lick the soy sauce off their fingers. Taiwan can't even protect its sovereignty as China seems to be intruding Taiwan's airspace as we speak :eek: And China continues to persist and infiltrate into adjoining territories rightfully claimed by Tibet, Nepal, and India. The Uyghur issue is a human rights issue and it is appalling that media coverage is barely stressed on this current situation. This group of people were the first targeted by the CCP when the Wuhan virus first started emerging in the news.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure why this reply didn’t show up. But much thanks for providing a resource link to view. I just don’t know where this industry is heading given the incredible advances in AI / ID filtering.

From a technical stand point it’s impressive as hell. If a camera that the average person can buy for under $300.XX can determine colour, height, distance, direction, speed, and all the other metrics we all see now like basic time stamp.

Incredible . . .

This technology is obviously related to the LPR tech where it can literally document and categorize make, model, colour and filter the same for later viewing.

Impressive . . .

The problem as many have stated before is the abuse of the same in this thread. I believe people are going to wig out when the next generation of back scatter technology is shrunk down to something small and portable.

If anyone is capable of making the same in a camera size - God help us all! It will still be cool as hell and won’t lie I’d buy one!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So as we see in this thread, AI facial recognition has trouble with races.

However, in an X-ray, AI can determine the race of a person that has been undetectable to the human eye and they are still trying to figure out what the AI is seeing to make a race determination.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How many times do we have to stress that the world needs to boycott China, that includes importing and buying anything that comes from China's mainland. And yet, a good number of people from countries continue to crave, shop, consume, incur debt by buying trash from China. Bet the soy sauce imported from PRC contains goat semen but people will still salivate, crave, and finger-lick the soy sauce off their fingers. Taiwan can't even protect its sovereignty as China seems to be intruding Taiwan's airspace as we speak :eek: And China continues to persist and infiltrate into adjoining territories rightfully claimed by Tibet, Nepal, and India. The Uyghur issue is a human rights issue and it is appalling that media coverage is barely stressed on this current situation. This group of people were the first targeted by the CCP when the Wuhan virus first started emerging in the news.
On a similar vein the Ukrainians quickly learnt not to fly DJI drones, as the Chinese provided the Russian with the capability to detect and track.