What does everyone use for viewing and managing IVS snapshots?

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got IVS snapshots to my Synology NAS working. However, the directory format that Dahua creates is quite convolated. I searched the forums and could not find anyone mentioning a snapchat viewer or management tool. Are there such thing? Thank you!

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Custom shell script:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

# Steps through raw cam snapshot folders and renames all .jpgs to creation time + random digits
# Only looks back at the last 490 minutes from the moment the command is run. Crontab kicks
# this off at 5am.  Snapshots start at 9pm. That is 8 hours or 480 minutes worth of snapshots
# Add another 10 minutes to make it 490 minutes for good measure

# Front cam folder
find /mnt/rawsnaps/yourcamserialnumber/ -depth -mmin -490 -name "*.jpg" -exec sh -c 'mv -f "$1" "$(dirname "$1")/$(date -r "$1" +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S-%N).jpg"' _ {} \;

# Rear cam folder
find /mnt/rawsnaps/yourcameraserialnumber/ -depth -mmin -490 -name "*.jpg" -exec sh -c 'mv -f "$1" "$(dirname "$1")/$(date -r "$1" +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S-%N).jpg"' _ {} \;

# Now we need to copy all the renamed snapshots we did in the first step to the samba share.
# Bit of a hack, but we step back though directory structure limited to 490 minutes again.
# All of those files are copied to the Samba share. Would be better to simply copy the files in the
# above step to a new location after renaming to begin with instead of another dedicated step
# but what the hell...

# Front cam folder
find /mnt/rawsnaps/yourcamserialnumber/ -depth -mmin -490 -name \*.jpg | rsync -av --files-from - --no-relative / /mnt/camsnaps/$(date -d '-1 day' '+%Y-%m-%d')

# Rear cam folder
find /mnt/rawsnaps/yourcamserialnumber/ -depth -mmin -490 -name \*.jpg | rsync -av --files-from - --no-relative / /mnt/camsnaps/$(date -d '-1 day' '+%Y-%m-%d')
You should have run across a post from me several months back because I've posted a similar script like this before but this is the latest version and I'm happy with it. You're right, it is terribly convoluted naming structure that they have chosen to use. My script just moves through all the camera snapshot folders and renames the .jpgs to their creation time plus a random 9-digit number in case there are duplicate .jpgs that share the same creation time. I have two cameras that use IVS snapshots so I do this because it could be possible to have identical creation times if both cameras fired at the same moment so the random 9-digit code I append to the end alleviates that issue. It then copies them to a network share location (creating a subdirectory with last night's date first). The folder they are all being copied to in /mnt/camsnaps/ is a Samba share that I can then connect to from anywhere on my network and actually view the photos. This is part of my morning routine. Make my coffee and breakfast, open up my laptop, browse to the file share, and then see what was captured last night. If anything catches my eye, I head to the video to see what happened since I record 24x7x365.

Crontab executes this every morning at 5am. I'm only interested in .jpgs from 9pm to 4am as that is when all the crazy shit seems to happen anyway. So I limit the .jpgs I rename and copy for just that time period. I have another smaller script that deletes all snapshots after 30 days in both the camera snapshot location and my Samba snapshot location.

Here is what it looks like on the laptop in the morning when I'm ready to look at the snapshots.
Screenshot from 2020-08-04 12-40-30.png

Last edited:

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah...I think I was searching for a viewer so missed your post. Thank you so much and I will give it a shot. I am surprised Dahua does not provide a tool given they created this funny directory structure.

Reaction score
There are a few different ways to view and manage IVS snapshots. The most common way is to use the web interface provided by the IVS. This interface allows you to view all of the snapshots that have been taken, as well as create and manage new snapshots. You can also use the IVS command line interface to view and manage snapshots. Finally, you can use a third-party tool such as VMware vSphere to view and manage your IVS snapshots. Or you can hire a professional team from www.alphaservesp.com that will automize all for you.

Last edited: