What does "(no file)" mean in the alert list image thumbnails?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When using the console app and viewing alerts for any given camera (cameras record continuously). each thumbnail says (no file) next to the duration. Does anyone know what this means? Does it mean there is no video file that represents the alert? If so, I believe it used to refer to the continuous file that gets recorded but no longer does. When I right click on the image, there used to be a menu item that says "open containing folder", but that is greyed out for the alert (but works for the full clip).

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It means that you are not saving hi-res DB images. These alert images are just thumbnails that do not have an image associated with them as an image file anywhere on your system.

That is why the "open containing folder" is greyed out for the image, but works for the full clip as there is a file associated with it.

I agree it is a weird statement and hopefully they will eliminate in a future update.

But you are not missing anything because of that.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It means that you are not saving hi-res DB images. These alert images are just thumbnails that do not have an image associated with them as an image file anywhere on your system.

That is why the "open containing folder" is greyed out for the image, but works for the full clip as there is a file associated with it.

I agree it is a weird statement and hopefully they will eliminate in a future update.

But you are not missing anything because of that.
Wow, you were 100% correct! That was it. This must be something new, because I have no use for a ,jpg alert image, and I have never seen this before.

Agreed, if there is no image, it should just say nothing at all.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just updated yesterday to 5.5.5.12 and it seems like that is now gone from the alerts now.