What feature(s) would you like to see in Blue Iris?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please share. Maybe if there is enough interest it could be added in a future release.

-PTZ overlay on camera. When full screen it would be great to have a PTZ in corner (or area of your choosing) for easy and quick movement/zooming. I understand you can use hotkeys and the arrows and +/- is on the screen which I do use but having the controls when in full screen would be easier in my opinion.
-It would also be useful to have the PTZ abilities when you have all Cameras full-screen instead of having to click on that camera. In some situations it would be helpful to quickly PTZ without clicking on the video first.

-Flag specific times in a clip

-When exporting video it would be nice to splice the video or only export a specific time instead of the entire video

-Incorporating and logging AI capabilities of Dahua camera inside of the clips instead of relying on web interface for the info

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
-When exporting video it would be nice to splice the video or only export a specific time instead of the entire video
This feature already exists... from the BI5 help pdf:
With a BVR clip open in the viewer, you may optionally use the green and red crop icons to set the beginning and ending position for trim or export. For a more precise frame selection, you can instead right-click in the viewer window and use the Set start frame and Set end frame options. Then use the Export button found at the top-left of the viewer window: ...

I would add that instead of using the timeline slide ball to position the start/end time you can also click on the date/time box to precisely enter the time you want (then right-click the image to set the start/end point from the context menu). In my opinion, this beats using the slide ball to get “close”, then keyboarding frame-by-frame, which I find a bit tedious...

upload_2019-9-30_9-24-28.png

BTW, this is a feature Ken added ~v4.6.8 when I inquired about it in Jan 2018... And a hint for how to get new features added :).

Attachments

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great 2 out of 4 is not bad.

Here is about flag specific time in clip
I asked Ken about this in Jan 2018... here’s the email thread...

~~~~~
Thanks Ken.
While I would be ok with doing a ‘database repair’ to reflect the added alert, I can understand that it is not ideal.
~~~~~
Very interesting idea! And I would probably add this today if I could ... but the way the database is created, events occur in chronological order, I have no way now to "insert" something in the middle. Maybe with a database repair it could be brought in, but that would be a hassle each time I would imagine. This is something for the long-term "drawing board"...
Take care
Ken
~~~~~
Ken,
Here’s a scenario..
  • I’m viewing an old clip and I see an event that was not triggered when it occurred, therefore there is no alert in the database.
  • I would now like to “save” a pointer to this event -- that is, create a manual alert entry for it, and flag/protect it for permanent retention.
I suppose this might be the equivalent of issuing an after-the-fact ‘Trigger Now’ command during clip playback.

Is this possible now, or might it be a future feature?
(I am envisioning a new command on the clip playback right-click context menu.)

PS - I do understand that I can export a video segment of the event... but I’d really prefer to have a “pointer” to the event in BI’s database.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish there were a way to display only those alerts which have been tagged by Sentry.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish there were a way to display only those alerts which have been tagged by Sentry.
Great idea. Please email support@blueirissoftware.com

This was more to give ideas and if popular you can take that to Ken letting him know the forum wants to see it. He is great at adding features customers want.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The interface is pretty utilitarian. It works, but it's not always obvious what each function is or how it works.

Remote controlling servers needs to be fleshed out more. Should be able to have more than 1 remote connected (so I can get people off sh*t Dahua Smart PSS easier) and be able to build camera Views like PSS has, rearrange cameras onto customizable grids etc.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ability to easily find protected files.

A way that you can see what the settings are for each camera in a list format or excel database and a way to change them globally. (I know BIT does some global changes but I'm not sure it works now with BI5 and how the camera profiles are stored. ).

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've emailed him to ask for different zone colors when editing the zones. Currently the zones are all the same yellow color. When you select another zone, the zones you have created become empty yellow boxes. Depending on the current view & light levels, I find it difficult to see the zones. It would also be nice if you could maximize the window, I find it small.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ability to easily find protected files.

A way that you can see what the settings are for each camera in a list format or excel database and a way to change them globally. (I know BIT does some global changes but I'm not sure it works now with BI5 and how the camera profiles are stored. ).
You could always just change them in the registry as long as you don't break anything

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Android app allow you to add shortcut buttons to individual cameras which would take you to a full screen view of a specific camera. So Instead of having to go into the app, wait for connect, select different cameras, I could just click the "Garage Camera" button or the "Back Door" button and it pops up that camera full screen live stream.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Android app allow you to add shortcut buttons to individual cameras which would take you to a full screen view of a specific camera.
This is already possible without the App... Open Chrome to http://{ip&port}/mjpg/{shortname}/video.mjpg
then touch the 3-dot menu and select ‘Add to Home screen’. Name the shortcut for your camera/group. The first time you touch the new icon on your Home screen you might have to log in.

Even better? .... if you are using a newer Samsung Galaxy phone (S9/S10) you can remap the Bixby button to instantly stream a single camera or group. This <link> guides you on how to do this with Tasker. I use this multiple times every day... it’s a vastly improved use of the otherwise useless Bixby button :)

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is already possible without the App... Open Chrome to http://{ip&port}/mjpg/{shortname}/video.mjpg
then touch the 3-dot menu and select ‘Add to Home screen’. Name the shortcut for your camera/group. The first time you touch the new icon on your Home screen you might have to log in.

Even better? .... if you are using a newer Samsung Galaxy phone (S9/S10) you can remap the Bixby button to instantly stream a single camera or group. This <link> guides you on how to do this with Tasker. I use this multiple times every day... it’s a vastly improved use of the otherwise useless Bibby button :)
Thanks
I tried the chrome shortcut on my phone (S8+), but When I click the shortcut it just sends it into an infinite login loop in chrome?
I put in my ID & PW and selected "Log in Automatically", it attempts to log in, showing "logging in" then it says "redirecting" and repeats itself.

Not sure the Bixby remap will work for S8...I would love to be able to do that (or just turn off the Bixby button) .

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would also like an option to make blue iris clips/motion clips icons bigger and even maybe add a preview feature when you scroll over your mouse. It would be making viewing/going through clips much quicker.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Above the clip window there's a view folder where you can select which items to display....Sentry display options are available there.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've emailed him to ask for different zone colors when editing the zones. Currently the zones are all the same yellow color. When you select another zone, the zones you have created become empty yellow boxes. Depending on the current view & light levels, I find it difficult to see the zones. It would also be nice if you could maximize the window, I find it small.
Hopefully he still has this on his list...I asked him for it (for the same reasons as you) several months ago.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the UI3 will do that.
Yes exactly the UI3 has the feature but not BI itself. It would be nice to adjust the clip sizes and have previews prior to clicking as many can simply use this to browse instead of having to click on every single clip to play it.

I seen this feature before where you can make the clips the size of the screen (about 3 per row) with preview and scroll. It made searching for a clip much easier.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps this is already available. I would like to see which profile was active when an event was triggered. Thanks.