What gear is commonly used to put an outdoor wired camera on a wireless network?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can find a bunch of wired-to-wireless gizmos, but I bet there's a short list of good ones in use by the people here. Can anyone post a few links? I have a few spots of interest outside where there is power, but where it is impractical to add a network cable. Range varies from about 100-200 feet, across open ground.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do 100 to 200 feet (I'm guessing that's 30m to 60m for the rest of the world) across open ground with a decent wireless camera setup properly.

But you could just use a wireless AP to make your one go from wired to wireless. Someone who's done it before will come along and explain better than me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used these for bridges. Work great and rock solid. One at the cam and one wired to the router or switch.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NS5-NanoStation-802-11a-Broadband/dp/B002LYT9HI

They don't come with instructions but you can digure out how they work by watching YouTube videos. Different firmware versions mean you'll probably have to improvise a bit but they aren't that hard to get going. Just match the frequency to the location. Lower frequencies tend to penetrate trees etc and travel better but 2.4 is probably more orone to interference around microwaves and cordless phones. A wireless site survey will help if the job is mission critical, but if it is a short run and you've got line of sight then I bet an M5 pair will be fine with no survey. And a short run for these things is a long way if you think 50 feet indoors is good wifi range.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those look perfect, thanks. Looks like they even have a POE injector. Very cool!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Just remember that Ubiquiti uses a different voltage for their PoE so only use their injectors to power their stuff

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just remember that Ubiquiti uses a different voltage for their PoE so only use their injectors to power their stuff

THIS CANNOT BE REPEATED ENOUGH!!!! YOU WILL BLOW THINGS UP USING THEIR POE ON OTHER DEVICES!!!

Also, please please please please for the sake of all that is holy and good use proper grounding, surge and lightning protection!