What happens when SD card fails?

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to get some SD cards for my cameras as everyone is suggesting for redundancy.

What I would like to know is what happens if the sd card fails and I am not at the property.

Will the cameras (5442T) still work with blueiris? Will I have to physically remove the SDcard and reset the cameras?

Sorry if this has already been posted in the past just finding limited info

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I popped one out while running with no apparent effect on the cam. So I'd guess that it would carry on fine. Running with BI is independent of the card present/working or not.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use known good cards (there are lots of fakes and crappy cards around) You shouldn't have much problems.
I have had excellent luck with the Samsung Evo Plus cards. I have one that is still running just fine after 3.5 yrs of usage in a cam. Others are older than 2 yrs, and no issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the cameras will still work. In some instances the camera gets wonky so you just remote into the camera and turn off the recording if/when the card goes bad until you can physically get there to remove it.

I would set it up to only record on motion though to extend the life of the card.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes the cameras will still work. In some instances the camera gets wonky so you just remote into the camera and turn off the recording if/when the card goes bad until you can physically get there to remove it.

I would set it up to only record on motion though to extend the life of the card.
Ok that was my biggest concern was something happening while away and the cameras going offline/ having an error and not being able to communicate with Blueiris. Sounds good.

To confirm is there any how to guide I could follow for properly setting up the SD cards for my 5442's? Finding limited info on doing it properly.

Thank you

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Install in the cam with it powered off.
Fire up the cam, connect to the cameras setup, format the card from there.
Thank you. What about with setting up for motion only parameters etc.

And for sure the camera will still work over network/Blue iris if the sd card fails it won't totally go offline?

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. What about with setting up for motion only parameters etc.

And for sure the camera will still work over network/Blue iris if the sd card fails it won't totally go offline?

Thank you
Yep after formatted then set up motion only.

No guarantees LOL. A camera could always go rogue when the card dies. But it could go offline for lots of reasons. Usually the camera just continues sending video as usual, but we have seen instances where it just starts rebooting, so you log in remotely and hit the "hot swap" button and that effectively tells the camera no card is there until the next reboot. Or you reformat the card and see if that buys a little more time.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep after formatted then set up motion only.

No guarantees LOL. A camera could always go rogue when the card dies. But it could go offline for lots of reasons. Usually the camera just continues sending video as usual, but we have seen instances where it just starts rebooting, so you log in remotely and hit the "hot swap" button and that effectively tells the camera no card is there until the next reboot. Or you reformat the card and see if that buys a little more time.
Thank you for your help!

I am trying to find more info for actually setting up the motion only. I have two -T5442T and one SD49225XA-HNR

Can you help me and point me in the right direction with a guide or something?

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The GUI is basically the same for both of them.

Go to schedule and check the just the motion box (and alarm if you set any of those up)

1664762904033.png

and in the event check the record box

1664762988210.png