What hardware do I need to get a "beep beep beep" when opening/closing any door or window?

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

My home is pre-wired for an alarm system. (All the doors and windows have the little wires going to them, for the magnetic sensors, etc.)

What I am looking for is some kind of "alarm" system so there is a "beep beep beep" at a control panel whenever a door or window is opened/closed.

I don't actually need to be connected to an alarm company or anything like that.

Is this possible? What would be the minimum cost? (I feel comfortable to do the wiring/installation myself.. I just have no idea what hardware is needed.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Since you already have the house prewired, I would recommend a Honeywell Vista 20p or a DSC powerseries 1832. Both systems support a 3rd party device called the envisalink 4. The envisalink 4 uses your internet connection to send you email/text notifications of system statues and will allow remote control of the system from a browser or smart phone without a monthly fee.

If you choose the Vista 20p, you will need the control panel and at least 1 6160 alpha keypad for programming. The control panel supports 8 zones. If you have more than 8 zones you will need to buy a zone expander (Honeywell 4219).

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

My home is pre-wired for an alarm system. (All the doors and windows have the little wires going to them, for the magnetic sensors, etc.)

What I am looking for is some kind of "alarm" system so there is a "beep beep beep" at a control panel whenever a door or window is opened/closed.

I don't actually need to be connected to an alarm company or anything like that.

Is this possible? What would be the minimum cost? (I feel comfortable to do the wiring/installation myself.. I just have no idea what hardware is needed.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Post some pictures of where the wires all come together and of the "little wires" going to your doors and windows.

You need to figure out how many zones you have and if they actually installed magnetic contacts or just used plastic plugs.
You should also figure out if they prewired for any motion detectors or glass break sensors and where they prewired for alarm keypad(s).

Cost will probably be $250-350 depending on exactly what you choose / need.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quoting your other thread on cameras.
I'm looking mostly for theft deterrent, and very basic recording/monitoring.. "just in case". My budget is "as low as possible" with a maximum of $750.
I'm living in a rental house, and my landlord said, "Absolutely NO wires!". So I am limited to wifi cameras.
Renting the house changes things a bit, but you'll still need to start by answering the questions above. It would also be useful to know how large the house is and what you plan on doing with the alarm when you move out / how long do you think you'll be living there.