What Initializes Quick Sync For A Camera When Intel Is Set As The Default?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know my i7-4790 won't do H.265 and have everything set to H.264 accordingly for starters. Out of all my cameras, (admittedly a weird ass variety of stuff), Quick Sync grabs everything except several of my 5MP cameras with two other 5s being solidly supported and another randomly supported. All are running default sub streams and I've messed around with main streams and arbitrary resolutions and frame rates every way I can think of including shutting down sub streams altogether.

My general understanding is the stream itself determines how the subsequent encoding support is initiated once the particular flavor has been selected in BI. So how does that work and what camera settings can affect it -- or render it non-functional for any given camera? Hell, it actually even works for a couple Wyze Cams.

CPU utilization isn't a major concern at present, but it could certainly be trimmed a bit more by HA support of five more 5MP cameras..., maybe for enough headroom to start playing around with some of the AI stuff.

TIA as usual for any enlightenment.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First off, you can run H265 on a 4th gen, you just cannot do hardware acceleration(QuickSync).

Depending on the version BI you are running, you may have a few cameras that initialize up before BI recognizes the internal QuickSync GPU.

Or the GPU is getting overloaded and simply won't accept anymore.

Other than that, the only settings that affect whether HA is used or not is encoding and whether HA is selected in BI in both the global config and per camera setup.

However, around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, but HA is an absolute requirement to keep the i7 happy in my particular setup with 20 cameras. And understood about the H.265 encoding v, acceleration limitation with the particular processor. I was referring to the HA aspect.

Things have been running smoothly for the most part for quite some time and even handled a recent (and reluctant) upgrade from 5.5.8.2 all the way to 5.7.4.2 without having to delete and reconstruct the database like everyone claims is absolutely necessary to keep the box from crashing at 2:00a.m. every night -- which I have indeed experienced with another more ill-fated upgrade some time ago. You may recall my noisy I-frame issue with that one before I rolled back to 5.5.8.2 again, and still had the I-frame issue and still do.

Anyway, I was hoping that the HA issue with these few cameras may be resolved after upgrading, but evidently not. Thing is, it seems to try initiating when and even after re-booting a camera to some extent, but never seems to 'take'. Hard to believe the camera is faster than the processor -- whether booting BlueIris itself or a camera.

I've also been playing around with a RLC-410A (prior to the recent upgrade) which has never been recognized by Quick Sync from day one -- until a few days ago. Been rock solid with it since. So something is at play with these particular cameras that seems to either allow HA to initiate -- or not. I have no idea what I may have changed in the camera itself to enable HA recognition aside from several reboots via its web interface. It's basically back where I started messing with it, though set at a different resolution in BlueIris now to match the 16:9 ratio of everything else on the main view. But I've messed around off and on forever with that and seen no effect on the HA one way or another.

Maybe a better question would have been; "Why does HA recognize some cameras and not others?"

Guess I'll just keep pokin' at it and see where it goes.

Again, thanks for the input.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a point of possible interest, setting each of the cameras in question to their native (default) out-of-the-box configurations enabled HA. As 5MP cameras with a 4:3 aspect ratio, they were all changed to 2560x1440 / 4MP just for the 16:9 ratio conformity of my other cameras on the main dispay frame. I've since dicovered how to achieve the same 'conformity' through the group settings without actually reducing the primary resolution to do so. They don't even look half bad with the minor 'squished' factor and also will revert to their normal ratio in solo mode with a couple zoom clicks of the mouse wheel. Pretty slick.

Haven't tried other 4:3 resolutions to see if changing to a non-native resolution is the issue. Seems like that would be a pretty restrictive and non-intended 'feature' of the software if it is indeed a factor.

Still doesn't answer the main question, but at least provides a remedy for it.