What is DSS Express? What can I use on my NVR besides PSS?

jokerone

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using PSS for a few years but I find it wanting to say the least. (can't complain too much, its free).

I upgraded to IP cameras last fall and an NVR. (DHI-NVR5232-16P-4KS2E).

I just downloaded DSS while looking for the latest version of PSS. After unzipping it I realize (tell me I'm wrong). Its PC based like Blue Iris and needs a dedicated server to run.

What are my options for running a Windows 10 based client system to view my cameras on my NVR? (I have a dozen cameras or so).

Can Blue Iris be used as client software for an NVR? I'm find paying $60 for software if its an improvement over PSS.

thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can use Blue Iris on a dedicated computer and feed your NVR camera feeds into Blue Iris. Many of us do that. I too found Blue Iris an improvement over PSS. But others prefer PSS.

I'd suggest downloading the trial of Blue Iris and give it a shot. Most of us know within hours whether we like it or not!

jokerone

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you can use Blue Iris on a dedicated computer and feed your NVR camera feeds into Blue Iris. Many of us do that. I too found Blue Iris an improvement over PSS. But others prefer PSS.

I'd suggest downloading the trial of Blue Iris and give it a shot. Most of us know within hours whether we like it or not!
thanks for the quick response. I was trying to avoid spending $$$ on a dedicated computer when I've already blown the cash on the NVR. If I don't need a dedicated computer as a server, then that will work?

So was I correct about DSS Express? Since it has a server component to it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My understanding is DSS Express is PC based like SmartPSS is.

Blue Iris needs a computer to run on. Most of us here use a dedicated PC for it and purchased a refurbished business class with Windows 10 professional on it - the cost is cheaper than an NVR.

With that said, many Blue Iris users have installed Blue Iris on their home computer that they do other things with. May or may not be a problem - depends on what computer you have. The substream option recently added to Blue Iris does allow for a computer to do others things, but probably still not recommended. I guess try it and see. Laptops tend to not be good for VMS as they need to run all the time and the CPUs will be slowed down when they got hot, causing issues with VMS performance, but ok for an evaluation purposes. That is what I did - installed it on my laptop and tried it, but after about 4 cameras the CPU was pegging out at 100%.

Whether the camera video feed is coming from an NVR or not is immaterial as to how Blue Iris operates - it isn't like it doesn't use as much power just because an NVR is involved.

jokerone

n3wb
Reaction score
My understanding is DSS Express is PC based like SmartPSS is.

Blue Iris needs a computer to run on. Most of us here use a dedicated PC for it and purchased a refurbished business class with Windows 10 professional on it - the cost is cheaper than an NVR.

With that said, many Blue Iris users have installed Blue Iris on their home computer that they do other things with. May or may not be a problem - depends on what computer you have. The substream option recently added to Blue Iris does allow for a computer to do others things, but probably still not recommended. I guess try it and see. Laptops tend to not be good for VMS as they need to run all the time and the CPUs will be slowed down when they got hot, causing issues with VMS performance, but ok for an evaluation purposes. That is what I did - installed it on my laptop and tried it, but after about 4 cameras the CPU was pegging out at 100%.

Whether the camera video feed is coming from an NVR or not is immaterial as to how Blue Iris operates - it isn't like it doesn't use as much power just because an NVR is involved.
thanks. I'll have to do some more research.

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

Is DSS new SmartPSS? Dahua site you can't find SmartPSS anymore.