what is the bandwidth consumption of a dahua IP camera

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How much bandwidth does a dahua camera specifically the DH-IPC-HFW2831T-AS-S2 (or similar 4k 8MP camera) actually use? I am planning my switch structure and this piece of info would be important so i can properly size the switches. Its a 100Mbps camera so i would assume it would not go past that.

Anybody has done testing on these?

Reaction score
How much bandwidth does a dahua camera specifically the DH-IPC-HFW2831T-AS-S2 (or similar 4k 8MP camera) actually use? I am planning my switch structure and this piece of info would be important so i can properly size the switches. Its a 100Mbps camera so i would assume it would not go past that.

Anybody has done testing on these?
YOU determine how much bandwidth it uses in the settings. I don't know what the max is for that camera.

This might help you out a little: Calculating Required Hard Drive Size

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It isn't going to use more than 100mb/s.
That's just a simple fact of the hardware limitation it has.

As for how much it will actually use, the general answer is "it depends".

It depends on how you have your cameras configured.
Bit rate, quality, encoding, etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's like asking how long is a piece of rope. There are a number of variables involved. Bit rate, frame rate, CBR/VBR and resolution all come into play not to mention lighting and how much motion and how constant that motion is. I wouldn't worry about bandwidth unless you get into the 50 to 100 camera range. I run a mix of 2MP and 4MP, all at 15FPS, with bit rates. CBR, at 5120 for 2MP and 10240 for 4MP, dual streams, and it doesn't even hit 200Mb/ps.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
YOU determine how much bandwidth it uses in the settings. I don't know what the max is for that camera.

This might help you out a little: Calculating Required Hard Drive Size
It isn't going to use more than 100mb/s.
That's just a simple fact of the hardware limitation it has.

As for how much it will actually use, the general answer is "it depends".

It depends on how you have your cameras configured.
Bit rate, quality, encoding, etc.
BI shows my 4K cams @ ~1,275-1,350 kB/s set at bitrate 10240 CBR and 20 FPS.
Is 10240 kbps bit rate the highest it can go? And assuming that is it correct to assume that its utilizing 10Mbps bandwith?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is 10240 kbps bit rate the highest it can go? And assuming that is it correct to assume that its utilizing 10Mbps bandwith?
If using CBR then, yes, that is 10Mbps of constant bandwidth.

Not really needed though. You can use VBR and drop that waaay down. Or run a lower CBR.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If using CBR then, yes, that is 10Mbps of constant bandwidth.

Not really needed though. You can use VBR and drop that waaay down. Or run a lower CBR.
well i have to assume the worst so yeah , ill just double that and i should totally be safe

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
well i have to assume the worst so yeah , ill just double that and i should totally be safe
I can't think of a single reason why you would want to run that high of a CBR in a surveillance setting. Your car is probably capable of going 120MPH/192KMH but it probably never will.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a screen shot showing network traffic, utilization for both 2MP and 4MP cameras running 5120/CBR/15FPS for 2MP and 10240/CBR/15FPS for 4MP. Extrapolation of the 4MP rate shows under 4Mb/ps.

b-ps.JPG

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
^ This.

Just to be clear above, the highest bitrate that the Dahua 4K cams can be set is 20480 kb/s @ 30 FPS. Not much reason to do that though.

For everything coming out of a 24 port 10/100 switch that runs all of my 20 cams most running at a little higher rates and recording continuously (plus a few other things with not much traffic) since the first of the month I see rates as below over two LAG'ed 1GB ports connected to a 1Gb switch that connects my BI server and all of the rest of my network where they'd be viewed. So one peak of ~230 Mbps, average ~160-ish Mbps totalled.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just buy a gigabit port switch and be done with it LOL. One camera turns into 12 and then you willl wish you did.
i already have poe gigabit its just that to save on wiring i can daisy chain switches, the bottle neck port 10 cameras under it. just making sure that a single gigabit line is enough for 10 cameras

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
^ This.

Just to be clear above, the highest bitrate that the Dahua 4K cams can be set is 20480 kb/s @ 30 FPS. Not much reason to do that though.

For everything coming out of a 24 port 10/100 switch that runs all of my 20 cams most running at a little higher rates and recording continuously (plus a few other things with not much traffic) since the first of the month I see rates as below over two LAG'ed 1GB ports connected to a 1Gb switch that connects my BI server and all of the rest of my network where they'd be viewed. So one peak of ~230 Mbps, average ~160-ish Mbps totalled.

i did not quite get that, Port 9 has 20 cameras under it?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ports 9 and 10 together. There are 20 cams on a 24 port 10/100 POE switch. Two 1Gb SPF ports on that switch are aggregated to two 1Gb SPF Ports 9 and 10 on another 1Gb switch that serves the rest of my network where the BI server and the rest of my use of the cams sits. So all traffic to/from the cams goes over those ports. Two aren't really needed in this case but I had an extra SPF cable sitting around so what the hell. Even at peak, one 1Gb connection between switches would be more than enough. But do need better than a 100 uplink.

Last edited:

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ports 9 and 10 together. There are 20 cams on a 24 port 10/100 POE switch. Two 1Gb SPF ports on that switch are aggregated to two 1Gb SPF Ports 9 and 10 on another 1Gb switch that serves the rest of my network where the BI server and the rest of my use of the cams sits. So all traffic to/from the cams goes over those ports. Two aren't really needed in this case but I had an extra SPF cable sitting around so what the hell. Even at peak, one 1Gb connection between switches would be more than enough. But do need better than a 100 uplink.
So basically 20 cams is about 200MB which is about 10MB per camera , which is also inline with the other people has said

Thank you this is the most definitive proof i can get on how much bandwidth its using. so