What is the best IR illuminator that you have used?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
hello,

I just luckily found this forum. I had purchased Lorex LND4750ABW,
Audio HD IP 2K Dome Security Camera, 150ft night vision, wide angle lens
That is a 4 megapixel camera with a 2.8mm lens and advertised horizontal field of view of 120 degrees which is about the widest you can get without going full-blown 180 degree fisheye.

The video quality is not that good, especially at night, under the street LED light. 20-24 feet out, the image is grainy and I can't distinguish any facial characteristics.
This is partly because most 4MP sensors aren't great in low light, and partly because the choice of lens has you limited to 32-39 pixels per foot at that distance.

I'm struggling w/ Lorex support because I say, it's a flash update issue
Not sure what you mean. Are you blaming this on firmware? It isn't firmware's fault.

and they say purchase a more expensive bullet camera. They claim only bullet types can increase facial characteristics.
Well that is an oversimplification, plain and simple. What you need is a longer lens and ideally a sensor with better low-light sensitivity, and these are not exclusive to bullet cameras.

i purchased this dome because it provides much wider angle of coverage. I've had issues when people trespassed the property and went outside of the visible angle of my former bullet camera.
Yes, that is the unfortunate tradeoff like pozzello said.

What would you recommend? Get a bullet, buy a set of IR illuminators and you can suggest another camera ?
I recommend you keep the current camera for an overview and add one of these Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) which is much better at low light and the lens is adjustable so you can tune it however you see fit for the best ID shot.

• 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens (4.4x Zoom), 97°~34° HFOV