What is the current "sweet spot" for a PTZ camera in the ~$1K range?

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been out of the market for a while so, I am not current on what near term releases from Dahua are "best".

I am in a rural area so, I need good long range performance. My driveway is a 1/4 mile long so, long range detection is needed. I would like to be able to identify faces at 200 yards at night. This suggests I should be looking at an 8MP sensor in the 1.2" or 1.8" range but, perhaps 4MP would be better overall? $1,000 isn't a hard limit but, a lot more isn't going to happen and I am not sure a lot less will get me what I really need for longer range detection and identification.

Secondly, should I consider secondary lighting sources for use at night? Around the farm house I do run the standard LED floodlights so, within ~50 yards I can see everything with my unaided eyesight.

I am open to other thoughts and ideas as well. I will be installing some cameras at the farmhouse to catch close action as well so, this is mainly meant for longer range usage.

TIA,
Sid

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I answered in your other thread, but while the 1/1.2 sensor in that one 4K PTZ is cool and a great combo, you're reaching max on the IR at 250M per spec (and I always trim back from spec)

The 1/1.8 sensor is not ideal for 4K so I'd drop back to 4MP and a 1/1.8 sensor and gain out to 500M of IR

WizMind Series - Dahua Technology

I have the next lesser 6 serieswith the 1/1.8 sensor and Laser IR and I think it would do well for ya
SD6AL433XA-HNR - Dahua Technology

Last edited: