What is the ideal bitrate / frame rate for DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MM ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, finally got my camera set up as far as being able to see live view both over my LAN WIFI as well as a remote view thru our window phones data connection.

Now before I install my camera outside I wanted to see how I can improve the live feed.

I notice that when I move my hand in front of the camera there is a delay in seeing the movement on the live view screen, it's like it moves in slow motion compared to real life.

I have been trying to research this but being a noob I want to be sure before trying all kinds of stuff.

From what I read adjusting the bitrate and/or frame rate can help. Not sure if the resolution needs adjusted too.

What is the ideal bitrate and/or frame rate to have a smooth responsive live view without a delay and slow motion type effect ?

Here is the specs for my DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MM

http://www.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/10147_NInformationProductInformation05DSDATASHEETSVPValuePlusVPDS2CD2342WDI122116NA.pdf

Megapixels: 4.0
Video Compression: H.264+/H.264/MJPEG
Max. Image Resolution (pixels): 2688x1520
Frame Rate (fps): 20 @ 2688x1520, 30 @ 1920x1080, 1280x720
Multi-Streaming: Dual

one customer review on Amazon said:

"Very happy with this camera line so far. I own both the 2.8 and 4 versions. The night vision is good, but not great....but for the price I am very content with them. The resolution is great, even at 10 frames per second and 3-4k stream."

Anyhow, any suggestions are appreciated !

Also, I thought I knew how to view and adjust the bitrate and frame rate but can't remember what I did to access that.

Thanks,

Gary

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are you using to view the camera? Computer via the web interface? Can you hardwire the camera? I don't think this is a bit rate issue per say. If you are using Wi-Fi that may be the issue. Try hardwiring and viewing via PC that is hard wired just as a test. Just an idea.

Reactions: GKL

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I notice that when I move my hand in front of the camera there is a delay in seeing the movement on the live view screen, it's like it moves in slow motion compared to real life.
Gary
Hi Gary. That delay is the nature of the beast. Encoding and Decoding video takes time. Hence the delay.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you using to view the camera? Computer via the web interface? Can you hardwire the camera? I don't think this is a bit rate issue per say. If you are using Wi-Fi that may be the issue. Try hardwiring and viewing via PC that is hard wired just as a test. Just an idea.
Thanks for the reply !

I have the camera hardwired into the router, when at home I can view the live feed over the LAN WIFI, when we are away from home we remote view thru our windows phones on our data connection, in order to remote view securely we go thru a laptop hardwired to the router that is running Softether VPN server software using L2TP/IPsec client on the windows phones.

I have read about people adjusting either the bitrate or frame rate to counter choppiness on a live feed, wouldn't that help at all ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Gary. That delay is the nature of the beast. Encoding and Decoding video takes time. Hence the delay.
Thanks for the reply !

Let me ask you what I asked the other replier -

I have read about people adjusting either the bitrate or frame rate to counter choppiness on a live feed, wouldn't that help at all ?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can use a browser to log in to your camera by going to the camera's ip address. Then go to configuration and play with frame rates and see what you get.
10fps is generally enough for a security camera but it will be a bit choppy. Also if the machine you are using to view is not hard wired, you may see frames dropping.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply !

I have the camera hardwired into the router, when at home I can view the live feed over the LAN WIFI, when we are away from home we remote view thru our windows phones on our data connection, in order to remote view securely we go thru a laptop hardwired to the router that is running Softether VPN server software using L2TP/IPsec client on the windows phones.

Is the delay and slowness experienced on Wi-Fi LAN? The max bitrate of the camera is 16mps which should be OK via Wi-Fi I believe. Remotely that may be too high depending on your upload speed. What is your upload speed? Also do a speedtest from your phone while VPNed in. What is your phone's download speed? What is the bitrate actually set to on your camera? Ideally you should use a client made for viewing your camera and ideally that client can limit the upload based on a setting. Blue iris can do this but not sure what other apps are compatible with your camera and your phone.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use a browser to log in to your camera by going to the camera's ip address. Then go to configuration and play with frame rates and see what you get.
10fps is generally enough for a security camera but it will be a bit choppy. Also if the machine you are using to view is not hard wired, you may see frames dropping.
Okay, thanks !

I have a computer hardwired in the room where the server is at, tomorrow I can see what difference there is between the wired and wifi views, and also adjust frame rates to see if that helps, if 10fps will be choppy, wouldn't it be better to do 15 or 20fps ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the delay and slowness experienced on Wi-Fi LAN? The max bitrate of the camera is 16mps which should be OK via Wi-Fi I believe. Remotely that may be too high depending on your upload speed. What is your upload speed? Also do a speedtest from your phone while VPNed in. What is your phone's download speed? What is the bitrate actually set to on your camera? Ideally you should use a client made for viewing your camera and ideally that client can limit the upload based on a setting. Blue iris can do this but not sure what other apps are compatible with your camera and your phone.
It may have been both wifi and data I checked. Anyhow I use iVMS-4500 on my windows phone which is made for using with my camera. Our internet speed is 2mb upload. I'll see about trying the phone speedtest both with vpn on and off, but tomorrow, it's about 10:30pm here now, I'm just getting ideas to try tomorrow, thanks for the ideas !

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2mbps upload? That may be your main issue while remote. Are you sure it's that low? At that speed you would need to set your bitrate to about 1024kbps to have it play smoothly over the VPN but that would produce a very low quality video. Too much compression. Do a speedtest from a computer on your LAN as I would hope your upload was highee.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also iVMS-4500 should have a max bitrate setting that you can use to limit the bitrate of the app but still have the bit rate cranked up in the camera. This way if you are recording you will record in high quality but remotely viewing you won't have issues with not having enough bandwidth. You would need to set this lower than your upload speed and leave a little room for overhead. There should also be a max fps setting. So you could record at 15-20fps (any higher is a waste for security cameras in most cases) and view the feed at 10fps or lower depending on bandwidth. It will be a little choppier but depends on your bandwidth. You have to find a balance between smoothness and quality. Lower fps and bit rate will be less quality but smoother if that makes sense. Smoother as in you will be able to sustain the stream without network issues. If course if the fps is too low it's going to look choppy. Sorry I ramble lol.let us know what you find and if you are recording to either sd card or NVR etc.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, thanks !

I have a computer hardwired in the room where the server is at, tomorrow I can see what difference there is between the wired and wifi views, and also adjust frame rates to see if that helps, if 10fps will be choppy, wouldn't it be better to do 15 or 20fps ?
Not really. the goal is to catch bad guys and not over tax the system with high frame and bit rates. BTW, I have less than one meg up and no problem watching video smoothly.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, been busy today, was trying to see how I was going to physically mount my camera outside, having a manufactured house the bolts won't do so I had to go to the hardware to get butterfly bolts, by that time it was time for supper so I'll finish installing the camera outside tomorrow.

I did get a quick chance to check the settings on the camera as it is right now, I'll list it below and any suggestions for changes for smoother live video is appreciated -

camera_settings2.jpg

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not really. the goal is to catch bad guys and not over tax the system with high frame and bit rates. BTW, I have less than one meg up and no problem watching video smoothly.
Thanks, how do you have your settings in the fields below, frame rate, bitrate, resolution, ect ?

camera_settings2.jpg

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't see anything remarkable in those settings. But I cannot know what you perceive as unacceptable. You could post a clip I suppose of what you think is wrong with the video. Settings could be tweaked by you if you take the time to experiment and see if you like it better.
Frame rate of 20 seems high to me for a security camera.

Fire Sign Theater fans may recall " That is Metaphysically absurd, How can I know what you see?"

Post a clip.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see anything remarkable in those settings. But I cannot know what you perceive as unacceptable. You could post a clip I suppose of what you think is wrong with the video. Settings could be tweaked by you if you take the time to experiment and see if you like it better.
Frame rate of 20 seems high to me for a security camera.

Fire Sign Theater fans may recall " That is Metaphysically absurd, How can I know what you see?"

Post a clip.
From what I understand a recorded view is different from the live view and I have not recorded any clips yet.

I'm mostly concerned about the live view having a slight delay like if I move my hand in front of the camera it takes about a second for the movement to show up on the live view and the movement is somewhat slow instead of fluid.

I was trying to search online to see what settings most people used and it seems like my resolution might be too high compared to what I read so far, also the max bitrate. Wouldn't a lower resolution make for a more fluid flowing live video ?

I just wanted to get an idea the best settings to try changing before just randomly changing stuff.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As previously stated, the delay is normal. Can't speak to the "fluid" comment.

Good luck!

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As previously stated, the delay is normal. Can't speak to the "fluid" comment.

Good luck!
Thanks !

Got the camera installed outside today, the much brighter daylight (as opposed to sitting in a not too bright room) seems to have made a little difference, still some lag, but not as bad as indoors. It's like when I wave my hand it takes about 1/2 second to see it start moving in my phone viewer, where in the house it may have been closer to a second of lag. From what I read elsewhere others agree too that a very slight lag is normal.

You can guess this is my first network ip security camera :lol:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doubtful the light makes any difference in latency. Glad you ot it setup.