What is the most secure way to mount to a concrete wall?

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one of my cameras was stolen last week. It was basically just "grabbed" without effort even. Wondering if we have an "industrial" way of mounting it to a wall. I'm talking about like it can sustain 300KGs of pull force before giving up. Aslong as a human can't grab it off the concrete wall we're good.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What fasteners were used on the last install? Try some wedge anchors, maybe mount the cam a little higher. Depending on the quality of the concrete, you might be better off drilling hole all the way through the wall, install threaded rod to secure.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used tox and the provided screws. No fasteners. It was a Dahua bullet camera. So I had 3 screws to place. Will probably place it higher. Not sure where to get anchors though, the holes on the camera base in itself is small

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua might have a mount box for the model of cam you are working with. The would allow you to mount the box securely, and attach the camera base to the metal box. Of course, it will still be susceptible to someone hanging on it, and/or beating on it like a piñata. :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The provided screws simply are not long enough either if that is a problem where you live.

My neighbor used something like this and for good measure squirted liquid nail in the hole before he screwed it in and it isn't moving LOL. In fact, he had to leave the camera in place as he can't get it down now LOL. He has hung from it and it isn't budging.

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could use a chemset along with some longer screws but really, just longer screws in general would be better.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
one of my cameras was stolen last week. It was basically just "grabbed" without effort even. Wondering if we have an "industrial" way of mounting it to a wall. I'm talking about like it can sustain 300KGs of pull force before giving up. Aslong as a human can't grab it off the concrete wall we're good.
Is the wall solid concrete or concrete block?
If solid, I'd use the fasteners wittaj suggested above.
If concrete block, use these in the hollow part of the block and not the solid part or mortar joints==>> #10-12 x 1-9/16 in. DuoPower Contractor Strength Anchor (12-Pack)
Don't be put off by the big "Holds up to 45 lbs." on the front of the package, that's drywall. Here's part of their spec below, note what's in bold:

"Maximum working loads for #8-12 screws and anchors: 1/2 in. drywall is 45 lbs. C90 hollow block is 165 lbs. and 4,000 psi concrete is 245 lbs."
HD-hollow-wall-anchor-kit.jpg

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua might have a mount box for the model of cam you are working with. The would allow you to mount the box securely, and attach the camera base to the metal box. Of course, it will still be susceptible to someone hanging on it, and/or beating on it like a piñata. :(
I have one of those. But the mount itself has 6 points of holes I can use. But what to use to screw that mount to the wall becomes my next problem

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one of those. But the mount itself has 6 points of holes I can use. But what to use to screw that mount to the wall becomes my next problem
Several suggestions noted above will work for the box, or just the cam.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless it’s a stud wall wouldn’t a standard rawlplug and 1.5” screws be enough? All my cams are mounted like this to both brick work and plastered walls and there is no way you could pull the cam off but there again mine are all turrets so harder to grab.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Look up the cam on dahua's site... they usually provide a list of options/accessories/mounts for the respective model

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just the circular box that's made to fit that cam, mounted to the wall.:cool:
What's the cam's model number?
Found it. DH-IPC-HFW2231T-ZS
The junction is PFA130-E so another qq. will it really be strong if im mounting the camera to the junction then junction to concrete? Assuming juction to concrete is epoxied SHUT for 1000% strength. How strong will a junction<>cctv join will be with 3 screws?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found it. DH-IPC-HFW2231T-ZS
The junction is PFA130-E so another qq. will it really be strong if im mounting the camera to the junction then junction to concrete? Assuming juction to concrete is epoxied SHUT for 1000% strength. How strong will a junction<>cctv join will be with 3 screws?
As strong as they can be, due to their purpose and construction, IMO.

Most, if not all, of the metal parts of these junction boxes and camera housings and mounts are cast aluminum and will take some abuse but don't expect ANY cam to contend with being hit with a baseball bat or allowing a 180 pound person to swing from them....they're CCTV cams, not gym equipment.

Pure physics dictates that the longer the extension of the camera by using a box will provide more leverage and allow a vandal to apply more force to the box. A device mounted flush to the wall with NO box will withstand more sheer force because there's no lever to multiply any applied downward force.

My point? It's a compromise and maybe no perfect solution exists. You need a box for the cam's pigtail unless you can drill a 3/4" to 1" hole all the way through the concrete wall. And now it's a cam with no box, waiting for that 180 lb. moron or that swinging bat. It's a crap shoot. Hopefully if the cam is vandalized you get a good shot of the perp's face for a positive I.D. :cool:

Last edited: