What kind of IP Cam do I need to monitor a business overseas?

Reaction score
I was tasked to look for an IP Cam that can show the live video it takes from an extremely small business (we're talking about half a coffee shop size) and show it to the owner who is located overseas via an app from the IP Cam.

What could be the cheapest solution to achieve that requirement? Video quality isn't much of an issue. The owner just needs to see it from time to time, like 5 minutes every 2-3 hours or so.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was tasked to look for an IP Cam that can show the live video it takes from an extremely small business (we're talking about half a coffee shop size) and show it to the owner who is located overseas via an app from the IP Cam.

What could be the cheapest solution to achieve that requirement? Video quality isn't much of an issue. The owner just needs to see it from time to time, like 5 minutes every 2-3 hours or so.
New arrival 2MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Network camera IPC HDBW4231F AS,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Reaction score
Oh I'm very sorry, I forgot to say where I'm from. I'm from the Philippines, the site where we usually shop on is IP Camera for sale - IP Surveilance prices & reviews in Philippines | Lazada. I tried searching for that product there to no avail.

As far as budget goes, it's around $100 (₱5000) at max. Although the owner wants to stretch that the cheaper the better.

Quick question though, how does an ip cam deliver its video to the app? I could understand if it's on a LAN since I could just access the camera's local ip but how do I do that through the internet on a global ip? Can you recommend a tutorial on the basics of an IP cam along with setting up the network-related stuff? I can search on youtube but maybe there's a comprehensive guide you guys know that can answer all my questions.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Reaction score
You can still order from the link I provided I would think. He's ships worldwide.

Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs
Unfortunately, I can only pay via the Cash on Delivery option which the Lazada site provides. Are there any decent IP Cameras on the site I gave? I saw some HikVisions there but maybe there are better ones.

As for the links, thanks a bunch! I'll read up on them.

Reaction score
Any of the Hikvision or Dahua IP cams on that site would do.
Awesome, would this do the job? Hikvision DS-2CD2120F-I 2MP POE-Ready Dome CCTV Camera

Your internet connection speeds have potential to be quite limiting.
Haha yeah, our country's internet speeds are crap. Luckily, we didn't cheap out on the internet speeds and currently have 20mbps (which still isn't that fast by any means but it beats the 4.5 mbps average of my country). Would that be adequate? It's probably gonna be around 12-15mbps on average though since customers can use it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome, would this do the job? Hikvision DS-2CD2120F-I 2MP POE-Ready Dome CCTV Camera

Haha yeah, our country's internet speeds are crap. Luckily, we didn't cheap out on the internet speeds and currently have 20mbps (which still isn't that fast by any means but it beats the 4.5 mbps average of my country). Would that be adequate? It's probably gonna be around 12-15mbps on average though since customers can use it.
the upload speeds at the business are what matters not the download speeds.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That Hikvision cameras is probably fine. It has a micro SD card slot so I would recommend using a micro SD card to store clips on motion detection. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE MICRO SD CARD. Buy a good brand like Samsung or Sandisk. You also have to be careful of counterfeit cards that don't have the reliability or speed or the same capacity as advertised.

Then, there is a whole lot of other stuff you need to know about VPNs, port forwarding and UPnP, which you can read about in this forum. But I will summarize. You should disable UPnP and do not port forward to the camera. IP cameras are notoriously insecure and you can count on it being hacked eventually if it is accessed that way. Use a VPN server if at all possible.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as budget goes, it's around $100 (₱5000) at max. Although the owner wants to stretch that the cheaper the better.
Wow, sounds like a great boss to work for.

Did you also setup a VOIP service so he could cheaply tear a strip off his employees when his spying catches them working at less than 110%?

Reaction score
the upload speeds at the business are what matters not the download speeds.
Our upload speed is also 20mbps.

That Hikvision cameras is probably fine. It has a micro SD card slot so I would recommend using a micro SD card to store clips on motion detection. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE MICRO SD CARD. Buy a good brand like Samsung or Sandisk. You also have to be careful of counterfeit cards that don't have the reliability or speed or the same capacity as advertised.

Then, there is a whole lot of other stuff you need to know about VPNs, port forwarding and UPnP, which you can read about in this forum. But I will summarize. You should disable UPnP and do not port forward to the camera. IP cameras are notoriously insecure and you can count on it being hacked eventually if it is accessed that way. Use a VPN server if at all possible.
Copy on the sd card, I'll make sure they get a good one. Yeah I was worried about the camera's security, it seems like even simply typing its address already gives you access. I'll see what I can do.

Oh and I have another question, the model I picked was "DS-2CD2120F-I" and I found another model which was the "DS-2CD2120F-IW". Based on the manual I've read on the model, the W stands for wireless. What does that wireless do exactly? Is it for allowing the device to connect to the wifi instead of an internet cable?

Wow, sounds like a great boss to work for.

Did you also setup a VOIP service so he could cheaply tear a strip off his employees when his spying catches them working at less than 110%?
Haha, apart from his reluctance to spend, he's a pretty chill guy. I guess he's factoring in diminishing returns but has no idea at what price point it starts.

Last edited: