What one misses, the other gets

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I programmed my ptz to do a tour when someone comes to my front door. So now I'm having some fun with this cause peoples reactions are hilarious, mostly due to the fact that they think I'M doing this and have no clue that I'm not even at the camera. When the ptz swings around to the door, it makes a whirring sound. This of course has the added benefit of making people look. And when they see the ptz on them well...lets just say this will be interesting along the way! LOL!

This is my plumber who saved my ass from a flood, not a thief. But it does demonstrate how effective this little setup will be. The backside of his head would be a swing and a miss for ID from my front door camera. The ptz however, bingo!

front door dude 1.jpg

front door dude.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a great idea Shock. Do you have a motion detection alarm from the front door camera triggering a preset to the ptz? Do you get any false triggers from bugs and stuff? And, I would be able to ID that giant bald spot anywhere! LOL

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. I have cams on both sides of my front porch, facing each other so they see both sides of someone at all times anyway :)

dalepa

Reaction score
Hopefully someday we'll see cameras with multiple lens for just this purpose.

Are you using BI to control the triggering of the ptz?

FYI, you can embed youtube videos here... Copy the youtube URL link and click on the video icon in the editor and hit enter.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a great idea Shock. Do you have a motion detection alarm from the front door camera triggering a preset to the ptz? Do you get any false triggers from bugs and stuff? And, I would be able to ID that giant bald spot anywhere! LOL
Yeah, motion detection from the front door camera triggers the tour. I'll post a video of it later. I do get some false triggers, but not many. I took out every trigger point except the lower area where feet will trigger motion. That has wiped out almost all false triggers and yet still triggers 100% of the time for people. So far rain, snow, and wind aren't a factor. There's a roof over it too, which helps. Headlights can sometimes trigger it, putting the front post light out, and the day/night picture jump of the front door does it too. Spiders don't get attracted there, so I'll see how it goes. If it's bad I'll put in a PIR, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah that's one video I have on it. I'm using a dahua Dvr. I'm still analog! Hopefully going IP this year.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would love to have a PTZ at home to play with but I think I would have to have a dome over it otherwise the neighbors would complain if it started going on tours following them down the street, lol

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of these PTZ's. I like that they are black so you sort of don't see what they are facing unless up close. And these have IR's which is also nice.

201402523335133.jpg

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like that. Where did.you get that one and what model?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah the best kind really are bubble domes, but it's just not practical in residential where there is often not enough or any light source. My ptz is on a dark corner of the house. I need the kind of IR horse power I have. And there's no way that's happening with a bubble dome. So it's a bit of a trade off. The neighbors have been great about the cameras. I always tell them that if they have a problem to let me know right away- I may have something useful on video. But I do feel a little bad that the ptz zips around on people at the front door. I'd surely prefer to do that in a bubble dome that they didn't see staring at them like a drone! LOL! Plus like I said, they think I'm doing it live. About 100% of the time I'm nowhere near the camera gear to do that. But in the end, it's home security and I did it because we get enough canvasing in our neighborhood to warrant a closer look at just who is coming up to our door. And when you see a ptz swing around and look at ya, that's gonna make you second guess some thoughts you may have.

But what I mention about the IR- for me it's critical. In the summertime when night activity is high out here in the burbs, you need to light 'em up at times!

[video=youtu;fFcnM3tvILM]http://youtu.be/fFcnM3tvILM[/video]

[video=youtu;n8Quujp27N8]http://youtu.be/n8Quujp27N8[/video]

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered the 2mp 30x version. Just two for now to try them out. I have one company in China that I trust and order from. They are not allowed to sell to the US direct, but I've been ordering for so long now, they still sell to me. Plus I spend a good amount with them, so they don't drop me. I should be getting them in about 2 weeks or so. I currently have a 2mp 30x on my balcony, but it's the all white one. I'm considering selling it and replacing it with this new model though. Anyone interested?

201308874445728.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whats the optical on your analog PTZ shock?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Mines a 27x optical. Believe it or not, this whole time just now I've been dealing with what looks to be a drug drop or pickup right across the street from me at a utility box. I happen to see it live from work here and called it in and then I watched the cops come and check it out. The guy was long gone by then. I know night time is tough and all, but I'm really getting close to going IP now. I love my ptz, but it's three years old now and focusing is getting a bit tough in a pinch. Maybe I should actually slow the focus speed down a bit and see if that helps. The tighter I zoom at night, the more it struggles to find focus, which is probably somewhat normal given it's night but I think it should behave better. Interesting footage I'll post soon.

As far as white- I prefer white on my house as I have cream color siding so it would blend better. But those dahua cameras are heavy man. My ptz is super light compared and I'm not sure I'd get away with hanging a real heavy camera in that spot. I'd probably have to support it from the top too, to take up some slack. Meh who knows.