What part do I need to seal up a junction box when I have an Ethernet cable coming out?

Bmr4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one of these round boxes but the wire needs to exit out the side. How do I seal that hole up with the wire?

1581984173357.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are weatherproof connectors that a compression with a rubber grommet to compress around the wire. SJ connectors are what they're called. I use those with Duct Seal, a flexible, waterproof, putty used by electricians. Both are available at most "big box" home improvement store, Lowes or Home Despot.

sj_connector.JPG

Bmr4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been using duct seal for the house penetrations.

So these SJ connectors seal tight on an ethernet cable? Also, do I need to cut the connector off?

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To get one small enough to pass through the appropriate rubber bushing you may well have to crimp on a new end. The Dahua boxes I have purchased came with a similar type piece just made out of white plastic.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, given that the hole is made for 18/3 or 16/3 SJ cord, typically, they don't crimp tight which is why I mentioned Duct Seal. An RJ connector, let alone one with a WP housing on it won't fit through it. Lowes and Home Despot may, or may not depending on local demand and inventory, have them in stock. Amazon may be a better choice or a real electrical supply house.

Bmr4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In that case I can just dill a hole in a plug and use duct putty with it. Thanks again.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
True, but then you lose the advantage of a rubber lined bushing to prevent chaffing of the cable. Alternately, add a few wraps of good electrical tape around the cabe, at the point where the bushing is, to let the bushing clamp down on the cable

Last edited:

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In that case I can just dill a hole in a plug and use duct putty with it. Thanks again.
You might want to consider silicone rubber. It pretty tough stuff and if you make a 'grommet' shape out of it around your cable it will help keep the cable from moving at all, provide a cushion between the hole edge and not be prone to falling out like duct putty.

I am in the middle of an outdoor project adding 2 more cameras and 4 IR illuminators in the woods.
I found a product called 'Liquid Electrical Tape' by Permatex:
Amazon.com: Permatex 85120 Liquid Electrical Tape, 4 oz: Automotive
I used it to seal the wires going through the compression fittings of my boxes. Messy stuff but it sets up with a nice seal.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.