What setting is responsible for alert thumbnails?

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got two different BI systems sending push notifications to my iOS device, but only one has thumbnails attached to the alerts. To be clear, I'm referring to when the alert shows on the lock screen/notification center. Off to the right of the notification is a small thumbnail of the alert. Is this related to the camera(s) or BI? If BI, what setting is responsible for this behavior?

Getting a little snapshot of what triggered the alert without having to view the alert is a nice feature.

Thank you!

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked and I have this option selected on my Record tab. I do not get thumbnails in my alerts, though.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I checked and I have this option selected on my Record tab. I do not get thumbnails in my alerts, though.
You're not alone. I don't either. I've checked everything that I've seen posted but no love.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this an IOS only thing?
I have never gotten thumbnails with alerts on my android phone.
I have it set up as above.
When I click on an alert it just opens the BI phone app to the alerts section.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check User settings under 'Options' (gear), 'Users'. Mine looks like this below and I get thumbnails, counter and can view it; insure both red-outlined boxes are checked.

edit_user.jpg

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check User settings under 'Options' (gear), 'Users'. Mine looks like this below and I get thumbnails, counter and can view it; insure both red-outlined boxes are checked.
My user screen has those two boxes checked.

The last three systems I've set up are all displaying alert thumbnails (without any extra configuration). Seems like my personal system doesn't want to comply. Argh!

Thanks for the reply.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My user screen has those two boxes checked.

The last three systems I've set up are all displaying alert thumbnails (without any extra configuration). Seems like my personal system doesn't want to comply. Argh!

Thanks for the reply.
Well, heck! You might try to uninstall/re-install the BI app on the offending phone. Wife's Moto Z2 Force works OK and my iPhone5s works OK, info below.
BI Server version 4.5.7.3
On iPhone, iOS 10.3.3, BI app 1.58.00
On Moto, Android 7.1.1, BI app 2.0.45

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, heck! You might try to uninstall/re-install the BI app on the offending phone. Wife's Moto Z2 Force works OK and my iPhone5s works OK, info below.
BI Server version 4.5.7.3
On iPhone, iOS 10.3.3, BI app 1.58.00
On Moto, Android 7.1.1, BI app 2.0.45
I'm getting pretty close to re-installing BI entirely. :)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not figured it out yet either...plus my phone alert is doing something else odd.
What I get is a buzz\bing and a little BI icon in the upper left of the phone. When I swipe down to see the notification, no matter what camera or when the latest notification occurs, it shows an old notification from the same camera, (so if for example the back door triggers the notification at 2 p.m. I will almost immediately get the notification on my phone but it will show the alert is for the garage camera from yesterday.)
Then when I click the notification (no thumb nail) it opens the BI app to the alerts tab.

Anyone have a screen shot of what this "should" do \ look like when you get a phone alert(on Android) with thumbnail?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have an Android, but here is what they look like on iOS.

Push Notification.jpg

When you touch on the notification it opens Blue Iris to the specific camera that triggered the notification.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update - I uninstalled Blue Iris and started fresh. I now have thumbnails in my iOS alerts. Rejoice!

I wish I didn't have to reinstall, but I'm happy to have this functionality back.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update - I uninstalled Blue Iris and started fresh. I know have thumbnails in my iOS alerts. Rejoice!

I wish I didn't have to reinstall, but I'm happy to have this functionality back.
Thanks for the positive feedback, your issue and its resolution could help someone else. :cool:

Norseman

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just started using an Android phone alongside my iPhone and while I get the thumbnail pic in the iOS alert, logging in with the same user on Android does not give me a thumbnail. Does anyone have this working on Android?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could not get thumbnails to pop for alerts on any of my Android phones. I have the S8 now and same thing.
I have followed I believe all the correct setting options for this but no luck.
My alert just states a camera name for the alert...That also is wonky...it almost always lists the garage camera in the alert when it is a different camera and clicking the alert does not take me to the current alert.