What Should I get.....

randyp1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for suggestions for what camera to get to watch my drive and the street in front of my house. I have a 50's ranch that has rather large overhangs in the soffit area which will protect the camera but also seems to be rather limiting on it's view. Here's a picture of where it will be mounted (square plate over the door, the wires there now will be removed):

I put my phone in "selfie" mode and placed it against the area facing out and got this:

The phone was placed at the bottom edge of the mounting area.

At this point I'm not looking for any recording ability but I can't rule out that I'd like to do that in the future after adding another camera or two. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see the camera from my TV, which has an available HDMI input. Getting POE to the mount location shouldn't be an issue. While I don't want to spent a huge amount on this, I realize that it's not going to get done for $30 either. PTZ would be pretty cool but I'm not sure it's necessary.

What are your suggestions and please let me know what other information might be needed.

Thanks!!

Randy

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely get a turret camera. A junction box (made specifically for the camera) will bring it down even lower but you will be fine without it. The way you are placing the phone camera is with the lens at the very top along the eave. A turret drops the lens ~3 inches down.

kteas1

n3wb
Reaction score
I would be concerned with night vision mounted there. Reflection of the it might ruin any night shots. Mount it temporarily first and treat it at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

kteas1

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry about autocorrect, meant reflection of IR on the eaves may reflect back and ruin the nightvision.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I must've skimmed over the part on the side of the wall instead of mounting on the eave. I would recommend mounting on the eave a little further out from the wall. If you want to mount on the wall just angle the camera lower (due to IR reflection as kteas1 has mentioned). You are still capturing what you want unless you're wanting to spy on your neighbors...