What storage device would be best to be used as a local "Cloud"?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr, I agree 100% with your post in another thread about the Cloud being over rated. I didn't want to hijack that thread so I started this one.
Currently I am in the process of testing a new 2CD2042. So far I like what I see. I only have Motion Detection on which is recording directly to a HDD on a dinosaur PC, AMD 2.9 GHZ, 6G MEM. I would eventually like to record the Motion Detection to an external storage device on my local network.
I was thinking I could install a local "cloud" device hidden in the attic, or hidden in the basement behind sheet rock. I would doubt if burglars were going to break into my home they would go up to the attic or try to find the "cloud" behind sheet rock.
The POE switch on my LAN is in a closet (which is not secure)...I would only need 7 ft of cat5e cable to either go up to the attic or down to the basement. What storage device would be best to be used as a local "Cloud"? I'm not up to date on technology but are there POE HDDs? It would be awesome just to plug a cat5E not needing to run an AC line.​

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the problem with this plan is HDD's dont like heat, so sealing them up in an attic or some place without adequate airflow is likely to result in premature failure.. its a bad place to shove some big expencive hdd's (my NVR has 10TB of storage, I want the disks to last)

record to a normal NVR in a normal location with adequate cooling and a bit of physical protection.. if you want backup hidden storage, it only needs to hold a day or so of footage and not really anymore, so put a cheap and small hdd in it and hide it well.. if the drive fails because you had to hide it inside walls you still have your primary storage.

Check out the pogoplug, its nicely hackable and cheap as shit... i'd use something like FTP transfer a continuous recording from the cameras with a script on the pogo to delete any videos older than a day.

Last edited by a moderator: