What style drywall anchors are best?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you guys have to mount cams to drywall, which anchors have you found to provide the best fit/finish?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know what they are called in the US of A, but I use this type of fixing.. the screw in piece is 10mm dia and available in plastic or metal, and as you will see is self drilling.

The only tool required for installation is a X head screwdriver.

Caveat... to avoid the fixings showing, make sure that the camera fixing holes are greater than 5mm from the edge, lol

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tend to use these over the wallmate pictured above

http://www.ramset.com.au/Product/Detail/86/Hollow-Wall-Anchors

It involves making a pilot hole but can then be set by screwing down completely with a screwdriver or driver bit in a drill or you can set them with the anchor gun. What I like about them is that they give you a metal thread to thread the M4 fixing into so you're able to do them up and undo them to your hearts content without worrying about dislodging the fixing from the drywall sheet.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a barbershop to install 4 turret cams in and I plan on mounting them on the walls instead of the drop ceiling. I want to install some sturdy anchors that will still be hidden under the trim ring.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
E-Z Ancor "Stud Solver." It's the one DaveP posted in METAL.

The come in 40 and 50LB ratings. Available on the shelf at your local Lowe's. Home Depot has a similar product by another brand, but I don't like it as much. Avoid plastic ones as they can snap when you screw them in.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The come in 40 and 50LB ratings. Available on the shelf at your local Lowe's. Home Depot has a similar product by another brand, but I don't like it as much. Avoid plastic ones as they can snap when you screw them in.
Had been looking for this, thanks!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use these Rawlplug Spring Toggles. 3mm x 50mm. They need a 10mm hole in the wall, but I mount on a small plate and reuse the same holes with a new plate whenever I change the camera. The camera mounts/screws to the plate rather than the wall.
What do you mean by the plate?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use plastic anchors, usually in #8 size or #6 depending on the camera. I recently bought a box of cheaper ones that work fine and have a low profile. Some sit above the surface of the drywall and I don't care for that.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use yellow plastic anchors and #8 screws for EVERYTHING around the house. Unless it's something really heavy, or really small artwork which gets a small hook or nail.
Some of the ones posted here seem like overkill for a small IP camera.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Something like a camera any drywall screw should be fine.

I recently had to mount shelves directly into drywall and bought from lowes these utterly ridiculous big things. They are metal like the picture above with the T, but they have plastic "strings" that, once the bolt is put through the now massive hole in the wall, you use the plastic to hook them up. The result is something rated for a really high load. They came in a blue cardboard box and were about a buck each.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes most on this thread are overkill even the little plastic ones I use are rated for 40 lbs per anchor. Lol. But If it makes you happy :)

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

So I bought these, and ended up not using them because they were slightly overkill. But I just could not for the life of me figure out how to screw the screw into the anchor that does into the drywall.

Lunchietey

n3wb
Reaction score
So I bought these, and ended up not using them because they were slightly overkill. But I just could not for the life of me figure out how to screw the screw into the anchor that does into the drywall.
A:With a cordless screwdriver..? The screw drives into the 'cross' which you used to drive the anchor in.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A:With a cordless screwdriver..? The screw drives into the 'cross' which you used to drive the anchor in.
I just tried it by hand, but it looks like it would not work. Perhaps it would with a cordless screwdriver...