What switch(es) for 20+ camera system?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am currently working on putting together a 20+ camera Blue Iris system, and I am wondering if I should be looking at specific PoE switches. I am also inclined to use two or three smaller switches rather than one big switch because our facility is nearly 400' wide and 260' deep. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way? Should I definitely make sure to get gigabit switches instead of 10/100? The controller system will be centrally located.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ideally you pull all the cabling back to a central termination point and use as big of a switch as you can manage.. but splitting a building into half and connecting the switches is also fine if the network is just used for surveillance use.. if the network is going to be shared with workstations or other network devices I'd avoid it so users cant impact the surveillance network.

might look into midspans, gives you more flexability on switch options..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ideally you pull all the cabling back to a central termination point and use as big of a switch as you can manage.. but splitting a building into half and connecting the switches is also fine if the network is just used for surveillance use.. if the network is going to be shared with workstations or other network devices I'd avoid it so users cant impact the surveillance network.

What about that low energy usage Dlink I thought you mentioned the other day @nayr? What is the model number of that unit?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its in my sig, Dlink DGS-1210-48.. its not PoE, I use a midspan for that.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its in my sig, Dlink DGS-1210-48.. its not PoE, I use a midspan for that.
Thanks...but I'm a little confused...this quote from the following product link appears to state that it does POE and/or POE+???

https://www.amazon.com/D-link-Websmart-Gigabit-1000Base-T-DGS-1210-52/dp/B00AWRUGSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475003254&sr=8-2&keywords=DGS-1210-48

D-Link's DGS-1210 Series is the latest generation of Web Smart Switches that features D-Link Green Technology. The series integrates advanced management and security functions that provide performance and scalability. Compliant with 802.3af and 802.3at Pre-Standard, this switch is capable of feeding power to devices up to 15.4 or 30 Watts. Management options for the switches include SNMP, Web Management, SmartConsole Utility, and Compact Command Lines. The series also supports ACL filtering and D-Link's Safeguard Engine. The DGS-1210 Series uses Auto Voice VLAN, ensuring higher priority for voice traffic. The DGS-1210-48 come with a Smart fan in 19" metal cases.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use dgs-1210-08p for POE and that does max 15.4 watt per port i think i read on d-link site.
Also it does only 45 watt total.. But it is passive cooled, so that seems logical to me.

for my hik ptz i use a poe ultra midspan (60 watt)
for my future ir lights i bought a chinese 8'port midspan with 60 watt psu for like $25 including shipping. Work great for ir.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Got it! I just finished looking at cable lengths on top of a building plan. It looks like I will want to run the northeast half of the building off the central point (only <1,000 feet in total direct to cams, longest run being only 175'), and I will install a secondary switch 150' southwest of the central point to save 150' x 8 cams.

What is a midspan and how is it used?

Yes, I am hoping to have the surveillance network separate. I have another thread going on that, though.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.