What the difference between these two cameras

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was using Dahua's product selector and noticed these two cameras that confused me a little

IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2
IPC-HFW2831T-AS-S2

These two cameras looks to be the same camera but just on a different body. Aside from the lense options is there a reason why i should pick one or the other? For example if i want the 3.6mm option (which both of them have), which one should i pick?

Reaction score
They have the same sensor and resolution. Same Minimum Illumination.

The differences are that the IPC-HFW2831T-AS-S2 has:
4 IR LEDs vs only 1 IR LED, which gives it a longer illumination distance
Comes in a 3.6 or a 6mm lens vs a 2.8 or a 3.6mm lens
Has a microphone
Has ports for audio input and output, and alarm input and out put
Uses more power (due to having more IR LEDs)
Is physically bigger and weighs more

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"A" is for audio support, either a built-in mic or a microphone input.
Oh, can you tell me more about their naming conventions? Do you know of any more?

They have the same sensor and resolution. Same Minimum Illumination.

The differences are that the IPC-HFW2831T-AS-S2 has:
4 IR LEDs vs only 1 IR LED, which gives it a longer illumination distance
Comes in a 3.6 or a 6mm lens vs a 2.8 or a 3.6mm lens
Has a microphone
Has ports for audio input and output, and alarm input and out put
Uses more power (due to having more IR LEDs)
Is physically bigger and weighs more
I see so its great for outdoors? what can you do with audio ? like record audio with the camera or output audio with the camera? What can you do with the alarm also?

Colditz

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, can you tell me more about their naming conventions? Do you know of any more?

I see so its great for outdoors? what can you do with audio ? like record audio with the camera or output audio with the camera? What can you do with the alarm also?
Hey! Just wanting to chime in in regards to the naming conventions. I've uploaded a .pdf detailing all of their naming rules. It's from 2019 but still holds up today.

Attachments

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey! Just wanting to chime in in regards to the naming conventions. I've uploaded a .pdf detailing all of their naming rules. It's from 2019 but still holds up today.
This is a great document !

So what i dont understand now is the platform and function part

Platform
1: Entry Series
2: Lite Series
3: WizSense Series
4: Pro Series
5: WizMind 5 Series

Is the higher the number better than its lower number? can you tell me the most notable feature of these series?

Function
0: Standard
1: WDR/Starlight
2: Starlight+
3: Polar light
9: Full color

Im only familiar with the standard and full color. what is starlight and polar light?

Colditz

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a great document !

So what i dont understand now is the platform and function part

Platform
1: Entry Series
2: Lite Series
3: WizSense Series
4: Pro Series
5: WizMind 5 Series

Is the higher the number better than its lower number? can you tell me the most notable feature of these series?

Function
0: Standard
1: WDR/Starlight
2: Starlight+
3: Polar light
9: Full color

Im only familiar with the standard and full color. what is starlight and polar light?
Platform:
I haven't heard of the Entry Series over here, so I can't say anything about them.

Lite Series: Devices without any AI features, usually targeted towards private citizens or smaller businesses.
WizSense: Entry-level AI devices with features such as Perimeter Protection, Smart Motion Detection, Facial Recognition, etc. (available AI differs from device to device)
Pro Series: Devices for Small to Medium Business applications. They are usually more robust and provide more features, for example, WDR, 3DNR, Starlight, Full-Colour, Vari-focal or Motozoom, etc.
WizMind: Professional-level AI devices for special applications. They include AI features like People counting, Videometadata, ANPR/ALPR, etc.

This is quite obvious when you look at camera models for example
HDBW 2 431-RP-ZS-S2 comes with no AI features
HDBW 3 241EP-S comes with entry-level AI features.
HDBW 5 449HP-ASE-D2 comes with most of Dahuas AI technologies (depends on the model of camera).

Generally speaking, a higher number oftens means better sensors and more functions.
Starlight, Polar Light and Full-Colour are terms that describe the ability of the camera's sensor to capture light. Starlight uses a large-sized sensor to capture more light which in turn provides a brighter and clearer picture in low-light conditions. Full-color goes the extra mile and provides full-color image in extremely low-light conditions. We were able to test this in a closed fully-dark room with the only light source shining through the keyhole and under the bottom of the door. The camera was able to provide a picture with colour, albeit a dark one.

I've never been able to test a Polar Light camera yet and have frankly never heard the term. I'd assume that polar light, much like starlight and the other variances, describes the light-sensitivity using a buzzword for more impact.