What to do to salvage cameras lost due to static/lightning?

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 Dahua cameras...(5) [FONT=&quot]HFW4300S and (1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HDW4421C that (to my best knowledge) no longer work after a very close by lightning strike last month. I have 8 total but only 1 works and another [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]HDW4421C I completely took apart just out of curiosity to see if could notice any damage but I wasn't able to see anything.

Question: Can I salvage any parts of these cameras? Can I force any of these cameras to boot up? Should I sell these for parts or something or just trash them?

Now to think of it, I guess I can use them as dummy cams and mount them and cut off the wires so dumb thieves think they are powered by the wood they are mounted on lol
[/FONT]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dummy cameras are totally worthless, toss em in a box and if in a year or so you havent touched em.. trash em

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a tear down of the HFW430S, but most of the cameras I've taken apart were made up of more than one board. Although it seems likely that a surge entering the cameras would blow something on the same board in each camera, it's possible you might be able to get one or more of the cameras working by swapping parts around.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I agree dummy cams are sucky. I wonder if someone would pay a small fee for these cameras lol...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho it would be immoral to try to get money for these devices, knowing what has happened with em.

you have insurance covering the losses right? your putting too much effort into this, they are trash.. even the one that works is trash, I would not trust it for any security purposes.. mebe watching the dog food bowl is all its good for now.

if someone wants to take them as a gift, thats fine.. but dont ask any money for trash your insurance company should be paying you for.

last time I got hit by lightning many electronics seemed to work afterwords, but over time it was clear they were damaged as they crashed and otherwise behaved strangely before they finally gave up on life.. I think attempting a repair is a complete waste of time, they got their heads cut off.. no bandaid will fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya. I opened one up just for giggles and I already have more on the way from Aliexpress. I didn't think of a critter cam, I could put it near the garden bed to see how my tomatos are doing!

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a thought since it wasn't mentioned and I've seen it countless times: You tested the 12V source, right? PoE and 12V input have a little separate setup inside before they combine so if the 48v input of PoE gets fried, some times you can simply power the cams using a 12V barrel jack. I've had a few lost to lightning that I later revived using 12V PoE splitters for a couple bucks on eBay.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll have them! If I can fix them you can have them back.

Ah... only problem is that I'm UK. So maybe not.