What to use to fix an ethernet cable run to outside stucco wall?

Guy Montag

n3wb
Reaction score
We moved into a house with stucco walls and I will be installing a few cameras that require a run of cable along the wall before entering the inside of the house. What is the recommend way to secure the ethernet cable to the wall? There is some existing coax anchors that look like they didn't stand up to the sun with some becoming cracked/broken and some that just pulled out of the stucco and some that started to rust and stained the stucco. So, I want to avoid these issues:

anchor.jpg

I have a hammer drill and masonry bits, I'm just not sure what type of screws/anchors would be the best for the job. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW: The cable installer I recently had used a flexible polymer "band" with a screw.. looked like the following, but a polymer

I would probably use something like this with a good durable screw to replace those:

ah, here is what he used:

Otherwise I would look at a conduit for more than just one cable...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd make it a point to use stainless screws with plastic anchors to prevent rust stains along with either aluminum or UV resistant cable retainers.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My suggestion:
Use the single-cable cable clips, they're UV-protected. Drill stucco or brick mortar joints with 1/4" masonry bit, tap-in appropriate plastic anchor, replace the screw that's in the cable clips with a stainless steel Phillips head sheet metal screw that fits the plastic anchor and attach Ethernet cable. Don't cinch down until you pull cable tight. Always work toward one direction, from source to cam or vice-versa, makes no diff...just helps keep cable from sagging. I install a clip about every 36", sometimes closer. A black, UV-rated nylon wire tie (zip tie) can help tighten long spans.. Try to arrange runs so that horizontal runs are short, the verticals the longest....the sagging of a horizontal run is more noticeable. Install as close as you can under eave, soffit or overhang where available / possible.

Note that a double clip is available for 2 cables.

clips.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Industry standard outside plastic usually are the color black, UV resistant.
We try to avoid plastic all together (including PVC) when pulling cable on outside of structure. Our goto is 1/2" EMT conduit (your discretion to use watertight connectors or not if under eave). For my personal house...I considered going the easy cheap route but went with said 1/2" EMT for outdoor cable runs for cameras & outdoor speaker.
note I will have to paint the metallic EMT color due to HOA rules. Maybe before winter :)

Reaction score
As other's have mentioned...stainless steel or galvanized components are the winner for outdoor environments. That picture of rusted nail, plastic clips & stucco is a prime example of quick & easy = failure. The nail rusted, allowing water to get inside & behind the stucco, granted probably a small unnoticeable amount. But the result is rust build up causing the nail to loose hold/wiggle loose due to wind or rain/snow vibrations. And I really hate when those coaxial contractors install their black dark cable down the MIDDLE of a brightly colored wall. Our standard is to hit the edges, always...no excuses.

tntent805

n3wb
Reaction score
My suggestion:
Use the single-cable cable clips, they're UV-protected. Drill stucco or brick mortar joints with 1/4" masonry bit, tap-in appropriate plastic anchor, replace the screw that's in the cable clips with a stainless steel Phillips head sheet metal screw that fits the plastic anchor and attach Ethernet cable. Don't cinch down until you pull cable tight. Always work toward one direction, from source to cam or vice-versa, makes no diff...just helps keep cable from sagging. I install a clip about every 36", sometimes closer. A black, UV-rated nylon wire tie (zip tie) can help tighten long spans.. Try to arrange runs so that horizontal runs are short, the verticals the longest....the sagging of a horizontal run is more noticeable. Install as close as you can under eave, soffit or overhang where available / possible.

Note that a double clip is available for 2 cables.

View attachment 66626
I second this type of cable clip