What type of cable do I need to connect my cameras? Cat 5? 6? Low voltage?

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I hope you are doing well.

The equipment I have is

1) LTS 1142W-28 4MP 2.8mm cameras

2) LTS 1142W 4MP 4mm cameras

3) LTS LTN8716-P16 16 Channel 160Mbps NVR

I also have 2 Huisin MINI PTZ IP Camera 10X ZOOM IR 80M cameras.

I finally managed to partially get 9 of my cameras running. They were installed by an individual who disappeared half way through the job.

Now, I need to complete the job. I have two PTZ cameras that need to be connected to the front gate. I am planning to get help in digging a trench which will about 350 feet long from the house to the front gate.

I need your help in understanding what type of wire I would need to connect to the cameras? I presume it would be CAT 5 or Cat 6?

Also, given the distance of about 350ft, I think the CAT 5/6 loses its signal after a certain distance. So how do I deal with a distance of about 350 ft?

I really appreciate any help that you may have.

Thank you,
Oxonian

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maximum length for cat5, cat5e and cat6 is 100 meters (328 feet). Usually this problem is solved by putting a switch in the circuit, which will boost the signal. You can try running cable only since you're only 6 meters past the maximum, but no guarantees the performance will be satisfactory. You can purchase ethernet boosters that will take the place of a switch and extend the overall length you can run cable. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ethernet+poe+booster

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you!

I have two follow up questions if you do not mind me asking, I appreciate your help.

1) I understand the basic differences between Cat 5/5e/6, but is one better than the other for this type of project?

I will connect the PTZ cameras to the NVR using the CAT wires

2) How many boosters are needed? i.e. are they typically placed every 50 feet? or so?

Thank you very much,
Oxonian

Maximum length for cat5, cat5e and cat6 is 100 meters (328 feet). Usually this problem is solved by putting a switch in the circuit, which will boost the signal. You can try running cable only since you're only 6 meters past the maximum, but no guarantees the performance will be satisfactory. You can purchase ethernet boosters that will take the place of a switch and extend the overall length you can run cable. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ethernet+poe+booster

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Normally they are placed every 100 meters, so you only need one. Since you only have 106 meters total, I would put it somewhere that's convenient. For example, if you're trenching the 350 feet, I would run pvc pipe large enough to easily run the cable through, put a junction box somewhere near the middle of that distance. (The only limiting factor is the 100 meters. It needs to be somewhere within that 100 meters, so no less than 6 meters from the origination point or no less than 6 meters from the termination point.) Put the extender in the junction box, then connect cable from there to the camera and back to the house. Glue the pvc to the junction box, elbow out of the ground and up to the camera and glue it to the junction box the camera is mounted on. That way the entire run is weatherproofed and not biodegradable. If you don't want white pvc sticking up out of the ground, you can paint it to hide it better. Get a plastic paint in a color that matches the surroundings. Cat6 or Cat5E are both suitable for your application.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You wont need a switch if you do a 350f run...simply use good quality cable and youll be fine..

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate them. I will also be installing

1) A gate opener at the front door - do not know which one yet, do you have any recommendations?

I will need the electric wiring to facilitate that.

2) Do you have recommendations on an intercom system or equivalent that I can install in my home which can control the front door?

I will also need to place wiring for that, and was told that it can vary between low voltage or phone lines, depending on the system, so I want to make sure I plan for the appropriate wiring.

Thank you very much,
Oxonian

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Is this wire a good deal for $176 including shipping?

1000ft Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper UTP 23AWG Outdoor Gel-filled Direct Burial Cable, Black

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023402&p_id=15398&seq=1&format=2

I need to run some cable from my house to my front gate, about 300 feet, so that I can put a camera there.

Any thoughts please?

Or, should I go for something cheaper? If I can save money, it will help a lot.

Thanks!
Oxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That cable is what you should be using.. and 350ft wont be no thang, its technically beyond specs but I my self and many others have managed to get solid connections on over twice the standard ratings (~700ft) when using high quality cabling and network gear.. though its not recommended and is definitely hit and miss you wont have any problem going 50ft over the specs unless your using really crappy cabling.. what you selected above is not crappy.

even though its rated for direct burial, I would lay it in conduit.. 30x10 sections of conduit is like $60 and will really help protect the cable from cutting, corrosion, soil expansion, vehicle traffic, etc... especially if you dont intend on burying it very deep.. Ive seen heavy trucks break shallow buried lines driving over wet soil to offload some gear.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
"QUOTE" I finally managed to partially get 9 of my cameras running. They were installed by an individual who disappeared half way through the job.

WOW Whats up with these camera installers, I have read this too many times lately on this form about people starting jobs and taking a permanent powder break or taking money and not showing up. I guess its a symptom of our society, I had it happen to me last year with a window installer who pretty much took half up front and did not show up for 2 months.