What type of Hardware/software glitch would cause a ghost-like image to appear on camera?

Reaction score
What type of Hardware/software glitch would cause a ghost-like image to appear on camera?

Thanks.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like @wittaj said, bug or cobweb. Many times I see them on video, but can't see them on the camera. Sweep a broom around the camera and see if it goes away. Sweep it several times, those damned things can be hard to get rid of!

Reaction score
Looks like some sort of bug going across the lens or a cobweb glistening in the IR
This Camera does not have IR. It has the ability to see in lower light conditions but it has no IR.

My other non-ptz cameras all have IR and there is tons of garbage that reflects back such as bugs, dust, rain, etc...

I don't see any moving light source such as a car's headlight.

There are street lights but they are stationary and the camera was stationary as well.

This object almost seem to be like a Jellyfish swimming though the air. The shape is compression and expanding but not spreading out as a cloud should.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well there is a lot of light bounce off of those columns so it is a reflection of some sort. Is that camera behind a window?

And a small bug gliding across the lens wouldn't get the IR anyway.

So without IR, likely candidate is something going across the lens or dome or glass in front of it.

Reaction score
is it in a glass dome?
I think so but not 100% sure.
If it's a dome cam, then it's likely a critter. was that video looping like ever 4-5 sec?
Yes you are correct, the video was on a loop to show the object then I zoomed in for a closer look on a loop. So the object could be studies in detail .

The entire event was the 4 to 5 seconds.

The Camera has no IR. Do you still think its a critter if the camera did not have IR lights?

Its not in the traditional night vision but relying on the street lights.

So this is a common problem with dome Cameras?

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I mentioned, yes it can be a bug going across the glass running in B/W without IR.

A bug going across the lens does not have the IR hit it based on where the IR is placed.

Are you running on auto/default settings? I suspect so with how much whiteout there is on those columns. You dial it in to not get motion blur/ghost of a person walking around and this problem probably goes away.

We can assure you that it is not a hardware/software issue.

Reaction score
is it in a glass dome?
I think so but not 100% sure.
Well there is a lot of light bounce off of those columns so it is a reflection of some sort. Is that camera behind a window?

And a small bug gliding across the lens wouldn't get the IR anyway.

So without IR, likely candidate is something going across the lens or dome or glass in front of it.
The Camera is mounted to a post outside and not behind a window.
There is a dome on the Camera.

The light source would be in front or behind the camera to make the bug appear like this?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is an inherent issue with domes is that it collects and redirects light sources from all directions on a 360 bubble around the lens as opposed to a flat plane of glass on a turret or bullet.

I have a dome in a non-critical spot and it has all kinds of these artifacts if I run it B/W.

Taking it off auto settings can help as can running in color.

Reaction score
Yes that is an inherent issue with domes is that it collects and redirects light sources from all directions on a 360 bubble around the lens as opposed to a flat plane of glass on a turret or bullet.

I have a dome in a non-critical spot and it has all kinds of these artifacts if I run it B/W.

Taking it off auto settings can help as can running in color.

These are my settings if you are interested.

I normally don't see a ghost effect if a person is walking in front of the Camera.

The Camera is set to auto but I can try to have it in color mode instead.

This thing is something I never seen before. Its not a regular occurrence.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you do not get any blur of a person and you can stop the video and get a clean image of someone?