What type of system would a professional install in a Collage or Public School?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like the title says...
What type of system would a professional install in a Collage or Public School? If someone could comment on what technology and brands for cameras and recorders.

Thanks,
Chris

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
IP Technology with heavy backend VMS software. Axis, Bosch, Panasonic, Canon, Pelco, Toshiba and be ready to pay enterprise/government pricing. I'm honestly hesitant to even respond to this as I hate to see a noob play/act professional.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP Technology with heavy backend VMS software. Axis, Bosch, Panasonic, Canon, Pelco, Toshiba and be ready to pay enterprise/government pricing. I'm honestly hesitant to even respond to this as I hate to see a noob play/act professional.
I'm not looking to install or anything like that, but...
I work for an Engineering firm (I'm not an engineer) that usually specs conduit only for the A/V system. On one job they asked for our company to provide a "turn key" video surveillance system. Since I have been getting information from this forum for my home cameras, I thought I would ask. I'm not asking on behalf of the engineers, just myself, so I can understand what type of system options are available.

When I asked one of the engineers, he said most of the schools use a Honeywell system that the district is not happy with.

Thanks,
Chris

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Got ya! I didn't mean to insult, just scary thinking of someone not comfortable with the tech working with a school system. Good Luck

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Here, most schools have analog crap that looks like it was installed by fly-by-night guys. Seriously though, I think the janitor does it in my daughter's school. Depends on budget. If there's money involved then for larger businesses/gov't it's what zero-degrees said. I see mostly Axis/Bosch with some Avigilon thrown in. If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it...

As for "turn-key", there's no such thing really. There's always training with even simple to operate systems, even after the hard stuff is done, like getting written requirements of how the system is supposed to perform. Clear plates day/night at the three entrances. Sharp facial shots with 150ppf at 8 entrances day or night. Overview cams covering which areas? Retention times for video. Etc etc. "Turn-key" usually means a cheap plug and play DVR or NVR with wideangle cams used universally with poor results.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not looking to install or anything like that, but...
I work for an Engineering firm (I'm not an engineer) that usually specs conduit only for the A/V system. On one job they asked for our company to provide a "turn key" video surveillance system. Since I have been getting information from this forum for my home cameras, I thought I would ask. I'm not asking on behalf of the engineers, just myself, so I can understand what type of system options are available.

When I asked one of the engineers, he said most of the schools use a Honeywell system that the district is not happy with.

Thanks,
Chris
I would think at this point in history, to do it correctly you would be looking at an IP based system, using cat6. And nothing else.

And Kawboy is right, I have a cousin that just started working IT in some of our local schools. The previous "contractors" installed shit, and did a half assed job at installing that shit. The taxpayers got royally ripped off once again. Cables that were ran, and the wiring closets installed were absolute disastrous nightmares.
Did you know it was ok to splice cat5e cable with wire nuts? Or just twist them together and use scotch tape on them?
And yes it was part of the school wide network.
But I digress.