What would cause BI to do this?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The choppiness of your cams seems odd to me. At 20 fps you should be getting butter smooth video. Have you compared the BI stream to a live stream from the camera web interface to see if the live view is showing the choppiness too? I hope Ken is able to help you out here and resolve this problem.
So you looked at it and thought it was choppy as well? I'll have to take a closer look at the web interface of the camera and see if it's choppy, or smoother.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far viewing a live feed from my cameras over the Internet seems to give a smoother video feed than what Blue Iris records...My BI video seems to "jerk" every 1 second or so.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I posted another thread on some problems I've been having too with the latest versions but mine involved BI not triggering on large objects that sweep most of the frame while smaller objects were caught fine. I finally got it to work (mostly) by removing the hot zone that I had set up and turning off object detection and cancel shadows. I do think the most recent versions have an issue with missing some motion. In my case, I was able to watch the live feed in BI and see the vehicle (truck that took up the whole frame on a telephoto IP cam) move through the frame but no alerts: so I know it wasn't the camera lagging out... but in your case, how many cameras do you have running at 20 FPS? I have 7 cameras and even when I only had 4, if I ran them all at even 10 FPS, they'd start to lag out and would miss anywhere from a second to several seconds of video at times. Turn down the frame rate or do something to improve the signal on the cams at the fringes, and it'd work. I think it has to do with some cameras that might not have a high enough wireless rate to keep up and missed packets end up bogging down the wireless network. That's on wireless cameras of course. Don't know if yours are wired or wireless.

Just some thoughts. The first thing I might do is reduce all cameras to 10 FPS and see if that solves the problem since that's the easiest thing to do. If that doesn't help, you might have to mess with turning off hot zones, object detection, and cancel shadows because I do think there's an issue with those in the latest versions from what I can see.

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So far viewing a live feed from my cameras over the Internet seems to give a smoother video feed than what Blue Iris records...My BI video seems to "jerk" every 1 second or so.
Not sure if this is happening to you, but if you view live feeds in BI and you focus on small things like moving branches or even image noise, it can appear to jerk every second on some cameras due to the video feed only using "difference frames" for a certain number of frames and then it spits out a full frame update say every second. I thought mine were lagging at one point when looking at tree leaves and such but a more "intentional" motion (like someone walking) through the frame was smooth. I think that's because it was sending difference frames for about a second and then when it did a full frame update once per second, that "jumps" a little when it does a full frame refresh. Just part of the compression.

Mike

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff in there Mike! I'll address my situation here.

I have 4 cameras, all the same, HikVision ds-2cd3332-i running at 20 FPS and 4000 kbps, POE so all 4 wired. Pretty simple.

I don't use object detection and have cancel shadows turned off just to eliminate those functions from adding any variables to the mix. Just using 1 large motion zone, no hotspots.

If I log into the web interface of my cameras and look at the live view, it's literally as smooth as looking out the window. No lag, nothing.

When mine start to lag, it almost seems like when the object is small (such as a car), everything is fine. As it approaches and gets bigger, the slight lagging starts. I do have "highlight motion" enabled on all of my cameras, so maybe its the act of highlighting that's causing it to lag a bit. I have to experiment a little more with it during daylight hours.

Ken did reply to me and wanted me to turn off the "Use the streams RTSP time" or however it's worded. I have done that on all cameras as of last night and so far things look good. Been spot checking the alerts that have been captured during the day and they seem good so far.

Really, what I have to do is use the web interface to capture video during movement, and then compare that capture to the alert that BI generates to see the difference. I would expect them to both look smooth.

I believe you are correct about how the compression works. I think that's the iframe parameter of the camera that controls full vs partial frames. I have mine set to 20 to match the FPS.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After reading what you wrote, I unchecked that option on all of my cameras as well. The only problem I was having was a little different than yours though (posted in another thread) regarding motion on a telephoto camera that sweeps the whole frame not being picked up. Sent that one to Ken but for me, unchecking that RTSP stream timecode made no difference. That said... different problem with mine so I'm glad it worked for you.

Mike