What would cause BI to do this?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This software is making me a little crazy I think. Now, my motion only record cameras are just recording a snapshot with no video when motion is detected:
Untitled-1.jpg

You can see the red line at the bottom of the timeline is on an alert, and movement is highlighted in the main view, but there is no blue bar when the alert is, and this is just a still image. It created a snapshot (as it is called in the title bar), but I do not have snapshot enabled and it called it motion (29 seconds worth) in the right hand view.

I have since deleted the continuous record cameras so I can get back to a known state.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so changing nothing other than deleting the 2 continuous record cameras has gotten my normal record on motion cameras working again.

For whatever reason, when I added the 2 continuous record cameras, my record on motion cameras would not record video at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so changing nothing other than deleting the 2 continuous record cameras has gotten my normal record on motion cameras working again.

For whatever reason, when I added the 2 continuous record cameras, my record on motion cameras would not record video at all.
You need to uncheck high resolution snapshot. It was likely recording video you simply are looking at the alerts and clicking on snapshot.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not checked. Notice the screenshots of my "record" tab on page 1.

And it just happened again...
Untitled-1.jpg

As I was watching it, BI didn't even start recording until this truck was halfway across the field of view. Notice the weird "ghosting" of the highlighted motion?

I think I have some type of stuttering issue that is causing this...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not checked. Notice the screenshots of my "record" tab on page 1.

And it just happened again...
View attachment 8802

As I was watching it, BI didn't even start recording until this truck was halfway across the field of view. Notice the weird "ghosting" of the highlighted motion?

I think I have some type of stuttering issue that is causing this...
You need to record the continuous footage to see what is happening. It may be a blue iris issue, but its just as likely that the camera is not sending a proper image. You might want to try a compete clean install of blue iris just in case.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, doing the continuous record again.

What the hell am I doing wrong here? It's doing the snapshot thing again:
Untitled-1.jpg

It's calling this alert 15 seconds of motion, but it's just a still image. Again, no video along the bottom, just a single alert. All I did was export both cameras, add 1 and click the import button and rename the camera and check it to record continuously.

That should NOT effect the original motion only camera at all, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Select clips from the drop down and see if there is a video

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, my Front North camera totally did not generate an alert for that white SUV that I am showing above. But this time I was recording continuously and here it is:

I ran the video through the "test run video through motion detector" function and the vehicle DID NOT even get highlighted until the very back end of it was on the very left side of the field of view. That does not show in the exported video, so here are a few images of it:
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

You can see motion isn't even highlighted until the end. And, every time I run it through the "test run video through motion detector" function, I get a different result of highlighted motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would email support.. Part of the issue in this particular video night be the lack of contrast of the white van against the white snow ..

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Select clips from the drop down and see if there is a video
No there isn't any. Video for my motion only record cameras completely stops once I add the continuous version of the camera. Right where the timeline at the bottom stops is where the video stops.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would email support.. Part of the issue in this particular video night be the lack of contrast of the white van against the white snow ..
I have my settings very sensitive so I really don't think that is it.

Thanks for all of your help, I guess I will email Ken and see what he suggests. I have no problem paying for support on this. Right now I can't trust BI.

Can I refer him to this thread since it highlights a lot of the issues I have been having?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have my settings very sensitive so I really don't think that is it.

Thanks for all of your help, I guess I will email Ken and see what he suggests. I have no problem paying for support on this. Right now I can't trust BI.

Can I refer him to this thread since it highlights a lot of the issues I have been having?
The issue is specific to your system/setup , I have many blue iris systems and none exhibit this issue. He may want you to submit the actual video file.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have emailed him and will do whatever is necessary to get this resolved. Thanks for your help thus far. If Ken does find some obvious issue with my setup, I will post the solution.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not heard back from Ken yet, but I am wondering if anyone knows what this re-triggers checkbox means? I did read the help and it almost implies that if movement is detected while an alert is happening and this checkbox is not checked, then the secondary movement might not trigger an alert?
Untitled-1.jpg

If so, that almost sounds like what I am experiencing. I have checked that box on all of my cameras across all of my profiles so I'll see if it makes a difference or not.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that it is not the hardware / network being overwhelmed? My I3 BI setup did something very similar when it was just plain overworked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not heard back from Ken yet, but I am wondering if anyone knows what this re-triggers checkbox means? I did read the help and it almost implies that if movement is detected while an alert is happening and this checkbox is not checked, then the secondary movement might not trigger an alert?
View attachment 8842

If so, that almost sounds like what I am experiencing. I have checked that box on all of my cameras across all of my profiles so I'll see if it makes a difference or not.
That setting will only affect alerts, not triggers and motion recording.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that it is not the hardware / network being overwhelmed? My I3 BI setup did something very similar when it was just plain overworked.
Hardware shouldn't be a problem since it's an i7 4790 @ 4 GHz with 16 GB of ram basically just running 12 MP of IP cameras. CPU is around 20-25%. Network is all gigabit with Cat 6 wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

That setting will only affect alerts, not triggers and motion recording.
Hmm, ok.

Back to the drawing board.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hardware shouldn't be a problem since it's an i7 4790 @ 4 GHz with 16 GB of ram basically just running 12 MP of IP cameras. CPU is around 20-25%. Network is all gigabit with Cat 6 wiring.
That should do it. Another thing I would try is a different port on the router. Even better swap the port for the questioned camera with the known good camera and see if your good camera does the same trick.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the camera in Blue Iris?

Also what is the logging in BI showing for that camera? Regular disconnects or loss of signal?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All 4 of my cameras have done this same type of thing, so it's not just one camera.

I use a DLink 24 port POE switch (12 POE, 12 Non Poe) and it's brand new. I was using a TP Link 8 port POE switch and the same thing would happen. I have never had BI complain about a lost signal or anything to that effect.

I have not deleted the camera, but I can try it.

No loss of signal. Solid data rate and frame rate from all 4 cameras. Really seems like it's a software issue.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The choppiness of your cams seems odd to me. At 20 fps you should be getting butter smooth video. Have you compared the BI stream to a live stream from the camera web interface to see if the live view is showing the choppiness too? I hope Ken is able to help you out here and resolve this problem.