What's the best FREE video editing s/w for 2024?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't make a lot of videos but occasionally I do from footage captured on my mobile phone or IP cams. I've used Cyberlink PowerDirector v10 and v18 in the past. I'm tired of buying s/w then using it a dozen times then finding out it's has a new error code due to Windows updates. Anyone have suggestions for free video editing software? I quickly Googled it and a bunch of links to write-ups on recommendations came up. I can go through them and download them and try them out but I figured I'd ask here and get some real commentary from real people and not some publisher trying to get clicks and kick-backs based on flimsy write-ups.

Here's one such list I saw in an article.

1703029602716.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I tinkered with this a few months ago and didn't do much editing, so all I have is general impressions and two more programs to add to your list. One observation is the right answer depends a lot on what you want to do, because what's easy on one can be difficult or impossible on another. In general I think you get what you pay for with the free programs. I remember concluding that Windows Video Editor was a waste of time, and a lot of the packages make you create an account and/or be connected to the mothership when you're using it. Two programs I ended up using were Avidemux, which is feature-poor compared to some others, but for my job of trimming at the beginning and end of a clip it was very easy to use. I also used Kdenlive. More features available but I hardly remember a thing from what I did with it. Many years ago I did a lot of editing with Sony Vegas (not free) and it was one heck of a nice package.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not looking for fancy as I don't have a YouTube following where I plan to attempt to make income. The following video is simple but I think it shows the minimum I want....a few split screens, adding text and transitions. It was made using PowerDirector18.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using PowerDirector 16 for years. Occasionally I get the bug to upgrade to the latest version. But now they have gone to a yearly subscription model and from what I can see you do not get to continue using it if you do not renew.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm not into subscriptions and that's probably why I'm on this forum regarding IP cam selection, hw and sw...LOL! Everyone seems to be moving toward the MicroShaft 365 direction.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up going with HitFilm. Seems to have enough of the basic features I require to make a free video. Used basic text and video/audio transitions and spliced in several clips. Here's a basic video I did with it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For bigger projects I use Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.

Adobe premiere is the most infuriating piece of software I've ever paid for. It's very powerful, capable, and intuitive, but it crashes constantly and updates are always adding new bugs. As such, I only pay for a month or two here or there when I need it.

The free version of Lightworks can only output 720p.

For casual edits and little clips, I typically get by with open source options like Shot Cut, Open Shot, or Avidemux. There are some more capable opensource options as well like Kdenlive, Natron, Pitivi,

PsksiOm

n3wb
Reaction score
For free video editing software, you might want to check out DaVinci Resolve. It's solid, reliable, and has a bunch of features to spruce up your videos. Plus, it's not one of those "use it a few times, and it breaks" kind of deals.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
For free video editing software, you might want to check out DaVinci Resolve. It's solid, reliable, and has a bunch of features to spruce up your videos. Plus, it's not one of those "use it a few times, and it breaks" kind of deals.
I'm going to try it now because I just went back to do a simple video with HitFilm and now it's adding a watermark and popping sounds to the exported video even though I'm not using any of their paid plugins. And, when you go to the HitFilm site it seems effed up as you can't login or download their s/w again. Maybe they are in the middle of upgrading their website?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Welp, I'm not in love with DaVinci Resolve LOL! Three issues thus far. Have the latest 18.6 installed but the first problem is the audio playback while reviewing the clip didn't work. The equalizer bars were not lighting up to show that it even recognized the audio clip. Screwed around with that for awhile. Then noticed that if I toggled from my external speaker to the built in computer speaker the equalizer bar lit up and the sound came out. Then toggled back to my external speaker then it works just fine. Second issue is that while rendering DaVinci kept crashing. Not sure why and I assumed it might be a resource issue or driver issue (latest Intel graphics driver is installed and plenty of memory). Besides, HItFilm and PowerDirector didn't have any resource issues. Third issue is that DaVinci is taking forever to render the video. Not sure why. I'm just splicing two 20 second clips from my cams together. Nothing special, no effects, nada/zilch and probably about the simplest video I've ever done. The timer keeps bouncing back between 2 hours to a gagillion hours estimate to render 40 seconds of video using YouTube format. Oh well, gave it the ol' college try and I do see it is highly recommended s/w.

1706041571233.png

1706041985569.png
1706042051463.png
1706041785649.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like my problem with HitFilm was a HitFilm authentication issue with their server and it was going into fail safe mode and putting that watermark on there. It's been resolved now. Guess I'll continue to use it until the next issue pops up...LOL!

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
About 8 years ago, I used a free version of ActivePresenter (Vietnam) to create a few howto videos for my software, even though I had a (Sony) VEGAS Pro package (intro for 69.99 back then). I also played with Wondershare Filmora (China), Openshot, Shotcut and DaVinci. Back then, there was a Mac/OSX video editing software package (can't remember name) that was number one, but we had Windows systems at that time.

I tried adding a computer generated voice from text (with some very good "free" voices), but our legal dept. nixed it due to copyright, etc. issues.

I think some editing software can take advantage of your video card(s) to speed up the processing.