What's the best FREE video editing s/w for 2024?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the free version of DaVinci Resolve to assemble my 2-up and 4-up videos, and I like it a lot. It's not missing any features that I need, but YMMV.

I ran it on my old Intel-based MacBook Pro, with a discrete GPU, and it too awhile to render out, but editing was fine.

I now run it on my Apple Silicon-based MBP, and it renders out many times faster than real-time, at least for my relatively simple workflows.
Is there a Portable version for Windows? I try not to install programs if that have a standalone portable available...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been using the Vmaker AI video editor for the past few months. It's working really well and saves a lot of time spent on editing.

Its advanced AI capabilities auto-edit my raw footage by intelligently adding B-rolls, background music, subtitles, intros, outros, transitions, animations, and more with just one click.

Along with AI, it comes with a feature-packed, full-fledged editing suite that lets the pros craft their videos to perfection. The highlight is that it has a free plan without a watermark.
Can you do side-by-side (Split Screen) videos with Vmaker? Like if you want to show footage from to camera views?

dude1

n3wb
Reaction score
I am happy with movavi. It's my go-to for quick edits and projects. The new features seem really useful, especially the audio effects and the enhanced effects menu which sounds like it'll streamline the editing process a lot. I’ve also been using tools like this screen recorder mac.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is what I would like to do with video feeds. This Criminal has 3 cameras, I have just two in my vehicle...would like a simple Video Editor that can do Split-Screen...would be nice if it was free too...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out KdeLive, it's open source and can run on all platforms (even a Win version that doesn't require installing), here is a couple old vids, the menus may have changed since then...

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Kdenlive works pretty darn well. I just tried it to crop a video so that the focus is only on the cat admonishing it's kitten. It was pretty intuitive...