What's the best upgrade/replacement for iVMS-4200? (Paid or free)

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Title says it all, ivms is buggy as hell. Ok for free, but considering getting something better, it needs to be able to do what iVMS can do (except crash, ideally) :D

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What exactly are you using IVMS for?

I only have one camera that I've used IVMS for, but it's only been for admin purposes because that particular camera does not have a web GUI for it's settings. Once the settings were dialed in, I haven't used IVMS since. It's probably been close to two years since I've needed to use that program. That's why I'm ignorant to what other uses you might be using it for.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What exactly are you using IVMS for?

I only have one camera that I've used IVMS for, but it's only been for admin purposes because that particular camera does not have a web GUI for it's settings. Once the settings were dialed in, I haven't used IVMS since. It's probably been close to two years since I've needed to use that program. That's why I'm ignorant to what other uses you might be using it for.
I use it for around the clock monitoring of my NVR and 9 cameras attached. I use it to monitor and occasionally playback, as well as to control my PTZ.
thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use it for around the clock monitoring of my NVR and 9 cameras attached. I use it to monitor and occasionally playback, as well as to control my PTZ.
thanks

Hi @larryhagman

Q: What's the best upgrade/replacement for iVMS-4200? (Paid or free)

A: for many members, Blue Iris VMS running on a used business class PC ( in the USA can get these off lease for a good deal ) is preferred for most home / small business setups.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR's web interface or you could try TinyCam Pro on a FireTV stick or other android tv device.

There's also Dahua's DSS Express and a number of other VMS options free and paid Free VMS Software Directory

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't even know there was a network interface for NVR. I thought you had to use iVMS or another program!
Saying that, I think software will be better (just going by experience of Hikvision camera interfaces, and they always want damn InternetExplorer!)
Will take a look at BlueIris. thanks again

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @larryhagman

Q: What's the best upgrade/replacement for iVMS-4200? (Paid or free)

A: for many members, Blue Iris VMS running on a used business class PC ( in the USA can get these off lease for a good deal ) is preferred for most home / small business setups.
PS - I don't really know what you'd call a 'business class PC'. I have to buy a used machine for him to use, on ebay most likely. Specs needed really to get something powerful enough (without wasting money on overspecs!)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
PS - I don't really know what you'd call a 'business class PC'. I have to buy a used machine for him to use, on ebay most likely. Specs needed really to get something powerful enough (without wasting money on overspecs!)
I think a lot of us use the i7-4700 or i7-6700 chips. It's certainly more powerful than most need, but you can get them with 16gb of RAM for under $300 if you are patient. I have about 10 cameras running BI with an i7-6700 and the CPU hardly breaks 15% usage normally. If I RDP into it and open the full BI app (vs running as a service) the CPU jumps up to about 20%.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very interesting thanks. I am a bit confused though...

I read this thread on choosing hardware - Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

That suggests I need a CPU Score of over 14000 ideally, just going by rough guess (and adding 25-50% to make sure it has plenty of ability). I think there are 10 cameras, but one is a 32x PTZ, a few of the cameras are 4K, and the rest are 5mp and colorvu. As a guess, I think that means I need 14k plus CPU score going by that article.

I have to say, I had doubts that I would need anything like that much processing power, but having never used BI I can't claim to know much at this point!

Then came you with that post above which suggest I don't need anything like that much! And I am pretty sure your system would do what I need.

I have spotted a good deal for a used Dell desktop machine, well looked after with new thermal paste applied and generally a good lightly used machine. The specs are below. I thought it would be perfect until I read that post on 'choosing hardware' and what it said about CPU score! I take it you'd agree this system would be plenty powerful enough? (It will be dedicated to BI (or iVMS), with an 8TB HDD for recording, no other activity taking place on it. Thanks

• Dell Optiplex 7050 (SFF)
  • Processor: Intel i7-7700 3.60Ghz (Turbo 4.20Ghz)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400
  • Solid State Drive: 256GB 2,5" Toshiba M.2 NVME
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Very interesting thanks. I am a bit confused though...

I read this thread on choosing hardware - Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

That suggests I need a CPU Score of over 14000 ideally, just going by rough guess (and adding 25-50% to make sure it has plenty of ability). I think there are 10 cameras, but one is a 32x PTZ, a few of the cameras are 4K, and the rest are 5mp and colorvu. As a guess, I think that means I need 14k plus CPU score going by that article.

I have to say, I had doubts that I would need anything like that much processing power, but having never used BI I can't claim to know much at this point!

Then came you with that post above which suggest I don't need anything like that much! And I am pretty sure your system would do what I need.

I have spotted a good deal for a used Dell desktop machine, well looked after with new thermal paste applied and generally a good lightly used machine. The specs are below. I thought it would be perfect until I read that post on 'choosing hardware' and what it said about CPU score! I take it you'd agree this system would be plenty powerful enough? (It will be dedicated to BI (or iVMS), with an 8TB HDD for recording, no other activity taking place on it. Thanks

• Dell Optiplex 7050 (SFF)
  • Processor: Intel i7-7700 3.60Ghz (Turbo 4.20Ghz)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400
  • Solid State Drive: 256GB 2,5" Toshiba M.2 NVME
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630
The wiki hasn't been updated since BI started utilizing sub-streams to process it's motion detection algorithms and what other "under the hood" stuff goes on. Previously it used the full resolution main stream which typically has 3-5 times the amount of information vs the substreams. The results (ie trigger reliability, etc) are exactly the same, but by doing these calculations on the substreams, the CPU requirements dropped considerably.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wiki hasn't been updated since BI started utilizing sub-streams to process it's motion detection algorithms and what other "under the hood" stuff goes on. Previously it used the full resolution main stream which typically has 3-5 times the amount of information vs the substreams. The results (ie trigger reliability, etc) are exactly the same, but by doing these calculations on the substreams, the CPU requirements dropped considerably.
Aha. That could do with an update then! cough cough :D
I think that system I am looking at should do the job nicely, I just read about support for sub streams in BI too.
Thanks for the help. I will be back when it melts down ;)