What's the latest on these IP Cam Testers? Any advice or suggestions on what to buy?

Legolad

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm about to replace several old cheap cams that seem to have died. I have CAT6 POE running from a hub out to the camera mounts. I'm not sure if the failure(s) happened in the POE switch, the cameras, or something else.

I'm replacing the cams regardless because I'm ready to invest in something better, but before I do, I'd like to test/troubleshoot my current system so I can also replace anything else that needs replacing.

To me, this means it's time to buy a big-boy tool for proper troubleshooting.

I've been looking at these types of devices:

I'm willing to spend up to $400 for a proper tester.
But I know these are all mostly the same product re-branded or re-labelled.

Still, the negative reviews about build quality worry me a little so I'm wondering if there is a particular brand that has provided good service, support, etc. to anyone here.

Has anyone had a good experience here?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
These devices have always interested me (particularly the ones that can provide power to a PoE camera) but I never bought one. When I set up new cameras I just pre-configure them with Blue Iris indoors and then view the camera with my phone for getting it pointed exactly right. But I could totally see how it would be helpful if you needed to troubleshoot a possible bad cable, switch, power supply, etc.

Legolad

n3wb
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've decided to go with an IPC-9800 Plus. There are a bunch of brands selling this and I'm pretty sure the only difference is the level of support you might receive if you have a problem and the amount you will pay if you have to return it for a refund. Checking on that now.

Also, within a single model there are multiple variations, each including or excluding a set of options as seen in the table below. Hence, it's important to know what kind of testing you want to be able to do. The TL;DR version is that you don't need the MOVT models unless you need to test analog cameras. I want the HDMI in, so I'm looking at the ADH Plus models.
1601649546753.png

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
because i have one cheap tester i found that it ise very usefull to have hdmi in. If so you can connect the tester to nvr or xvr via hdmi and you can config via tester and no need a monitor. So yes get the plus version