What's the new 5231ZE in 2024?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of Dahua-5231ZE cams in use with SecuritySpy as the NVR (Mac mini Host) and where it's somewhat useful, I have no other cams or NVRs to compare. Although I'm looking for suggestions on a complete system, especially the NVR for another property, I'll ask my camera questions here.

-Since the 5231 is rather old now, what new POE, IP camera (in this rough category) is all the rage in September of 2024?
-The old recommendations were to go with 2K not 4K for night vision... still the case?
-Models other than Dahua attractive? A few years ago the answer was NO!

Can you suggest some cams to consider for this new property?

BTW: I'm buying a new home out of state and it will be under renovation for a while and sometimes vacant so I wanted to keep an eye on it and where the property will be rented eventually.

Thanks

R

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recall in 2023 that the HFW5442EP-ZE was the top-dog as well as other 5442 variants were performing well.... I guess this has been true for a few years now.

Thanks!

R

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes and the 5442 with the new chipset (S3 version) is basically a new camera. It is phenomenal.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What 5442 models have the new S3 chipset? Also, can you direct me to the recommended product online? I did not see the 5442 model on Amazon while searching for "Empire Tech 5442".

Thanks,

R

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think by now the 4K cams would have taken over, including with great night vision..

So the the 5442 went to the S3 the number product code changed to: T54IR-ZE and there is no new 5442 that's called a 5442?

What's the firmware upgrade procedure on this camera. Can this be done remotely, from another city??

With these camera based features:
"Smart AI: IVS (Perimeter Protection) , Smart Object Detection ,SMD 3,AI SSA ,Face Detection ,People Counting ,Heat Map ,Video Metadata ,Smart Search ,Alarm Event .
Intrusion, tripwire, fast moving (the three functions support the classification and accurate detection of vehicle and human); loitering detection, people gathering, and parking detection."
Does a dedicated Dahua NVR or Blue Iris receive these camera smart results? Or does the NVR have to perform it's own object detection and analysis rendering the cam smarts useless? How are these smart features being used in the real world?

Thanks,

R

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you are buying from some shady dealer on AliExpress, trusted entities are only selling the S3 models now.

The thread I posted above includes Amazon links to all the recommended 5442 cameras, from the fixed lens to the varifocals.

Andy had to rename his cameras. so the official Dahua camera is 5442 and Andy's cameras (Dahua OEM) are 54IR.

The reason the 4K cameras haven't taken over is because they suffer from a very narrow focus range - called the Bukeh effect . Anything short of 15 feet or past 20 feet is soft/blurry. So the 4K cameras make great overview cameras to capture color of vehicles and what not, but they show these cameras are not infinity focus and unless your IDENTIFY range is the 15-20 foot range, outside of that will be soft/blurry.

No you do not want to update firmware remotely. Best practice is 3 factory resets, apply firmware, 3 factory resets, and set the camera up from scratch. Once you do that, the camera takes the default IP, so unless you have VLANs set up and can access and change stuff while also being remote, it would be difficult.

I know that sounds goofy, but people that can get under the hood and look at the code have seen that simply uploading the firmware on the existing doesn't always take. Doesn't mean some don't have a problem. See your other thread about the cautions of updating firmware.

Blue Iris or an NVR can receive the IVS triggers. You do not want the NVR doing the AI as it cuts the capacity of the NVR by almost 40% on key parameters.

These smart features are being used in real world situations to eliminate false triggers and only get alerts when it meets the criteria we want an alert for.

Reaction score
The T54IR-ZE is Andy's model number for the T5442ZE. Dahua requested that he use his own model numbers since he is an OEM.

I do not use the AI functions and use BI. So can't answer your question there. Perhaps @wittaj @Wildcat_1 or @bigredfish could give some input.

As far as remotely updating firmware, if you can RDP into your BI machine, I suppose you can. But you should only update firmware if really needed.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How does the T5442ZE camera suggested above compare with the B&H Dahua Technology Kit N464L124A which contains N41CJ02 E-VU turret cameras?

Dahua Technology N464L124A 16-Channel 4K UHD NVR with 4TB HDD & 12 4MP Night Vision Turret Cameras

I ask because it might be WAY more economical to get a kit like this if it could be done with quality components.

Thanks,

R
See your other thread that I just posted that these cameras are on 1/3" sensors compared to the much larger 1/1.8" sensors on the 5442 series.

If night performance is important, these will suck...

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was the 5442 camera ever sold in North America through official Dahua channels? If so, do you know that model number?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How might this sucky 1/3 sensor compare to an existing Arlo camera setup this is intended to replace?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Arlo Pro 4 they list at 1/3. So about the same as far as low-light capabilities.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was the 5442 camera ever sold in North America through official Dahua channels? If so, do you know that model number?
The 5442 is basically the N45FJ62 that sells for $252 at B&H, versus Andy on on his website at $149

The 5442-ZE varifocal is basically the N45FJ6Z that sells for $432 at B&H, versus Andy on his website at $180

The are both basically the same camera (same build, factory, and QA/QC), so for the price difference I will go with Andy's with the 2 year warranty instead of paying over double just for the 5 year warranty.

In my experience, these things die quickly or well past the warranty period, which even though Andy offers 2 years, it is built with 5 years in mind and pricing.

So if I bought 5 ZE cameras from Andy ($900) and 2 died in 3 years and I had to buy two more ($360 plus original $900 = 1,260), I am still coming out $900 ahead than buying 5 from B&H ($2,160) and getting 2 replaced under warranty.

Heck even if I had to replace all 5 in 3 years I am still coming out $360 ahead.