When to use RTSP

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am accessing the NVR on an HTTP forwarded port, and on the phone using the server port and wondering when do we need to use the RTSP port.

Thanks in advance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The RTSP port is used for providing video to 3rd party applications, such as VLC media player or Blue Iris. Those applications can connect using the RTSP protocol, using the port you assigned for RTSP (554 by default), to receive video.

Reactions: NVR

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Port Forwarding issue or ?

I have an issue that may be related to RTSP, and more specifically I am wondering about port forwarding. I recently bought and set up a Hikvision dome camera model DS-2CD2132F-IS. Things went smoothly assigning a fixed IP address and integrating it into my BlueIris NVR setup. Yesterday, I relocated it from my inside burn-in test setup outside to under an eave of my garage. (Of course, that went not so smoothly, crawling around in the oven of a garage attic trying to snake cables, etc. :) )

My detached garage has a single Ethernet connection from my LAN in the house available so I have a Netgear switch in the garage to handle this new Hik cam plus two Foscams (also with fixed IP addresses and port forwarding), etc. Driving this garage switch from inside my network closet is a Vonage Box phone adapter & router model VDV23-VD ( https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1041/~/vonage-box™-(vdv22/vdv23)-telephone-adapter ) that provides a Vonage VoIP phone line and also has router functions. I use port forwarding in this Vonage box to drive/access the cameras from the main LAN. (This connection is intended to provide some form of isolation for my main LAN from the garage connection, which may be another interesting discussion separate from this thread, and about which I would welcome critiques from experienced network designers.) So its like this:
192.168.1.mmm (LAN router/gateway) <=> 192.168.15.nnn (Vonage Box phone adapter & router model VDV23-VD) <=> Hikvision dome camera model DS-2CD2132F-IS, Foscam cameras, etc.

I have been using this arrangement with complete success with the Foscams for almost a year, but I get no image in Blue Iris with the Hikvision. The Hikvision SADP program sees the new Hik cam and when I ping the new Hik cam from the Vonage router, I get return packets with no problem. So, I am wondering if perhaps the Vonage router functions are so limited that simple port forwarding for TCP/UDP is not sufficient, or something?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Port Forwarding issue or ?

I have an issue that may be related to RTSP, and more specifically I am wondering about port forwarding. I recently bought and set up a Hikvision dome camera model DS-2CD2132F-IS. Things went smoothly assigning a fixed IP address and integrating it into my BlueIris NVR setup. Yesterday, I relocated it from my inside burn-in test setup outside to under an eave of my garage. (Of course, that went not so smoothly, crawling around in the oven of a garage attic trying to snake cables, etc. :) )

My detached garage has a single Ethernet connection from my LAN in the house available so I have a Netgear switch in the garage to handle this new Hik cam plus two Foscams (also with fixed IP addresses and port forwarding), etc. Driving this garage switch from inside my network closet is a Vonage Box phone adapter & router model VDV23-VD ( https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1041/~/vonage-box™-(vdv22/vdv23)-telephone-adapter ) that provides a Vonage VoIP phone line and also has router functions. I use port forwarding in this Vonage box to drive/access the cameras from the main LAN. (This connection is intended to provide some form of isolation for my main LAN from the garage connection, which may be another interesting discussion separate from this thread, and about which I would welcome critiques from experienced network designers.) So its like this:
192.168.1.mmm (LAN router/gateway) <=> 192.168.15.nnn (Vonage Box phone adapter & router model VDV23-VD) <=> Hikvision dome camera model DS-2CD2132F-IS, Foscam cameras, etc.

I have been using this arrangement with complete success with the Foscams for almost a year, but I get no image in Blue Iris with the Hikvision. The Hikvision SADP program sees the new Hik cam and when I ping the new Hik cam from the Vonage router, I get return packets with no problem. So, I am wondering if perhaps the Vonage router functions are so limited that simple port forwarding for TCP/UDP is not sufficient, or something?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts at all about this? Maybe I'm just overcomplicating things, ..., wouldn't be the first time. :)