When will we escape internet explorer?

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was curious. With IE, dead and out of support, will cameras move to supporting newer browsers? Windows 11 completely drops IE, so eventually we will need an alternative, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While it is weird to us that they use a no longer supported browser, but there is a reason...

Many manufacturers have focused the firmware around Internet Explorer (which was the standard once upon a time), even brand new cameras unfortunately. Keep in mind we are not the intended audience of Hikvision and Dahua, it is professional installers with specialized equipment and/or don't update their equipment, so they are not going to invest in changing the firmware until they see a need. As such, those end users usually don't get into the userface like we do.

So until their professional installers and their intended market demand or require it, we won't see it and us complaining they don't care because we are not their intended market. They are not going to reinvent the wheel and throw put all firmware and start new until there is a need.

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these cameras.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, no idea what is involved, but IE, the plugins, etc to manage the camera is sometimes frustrating. I manage and accept it, but was more curious if it was ever a possibility. There is the obvious requirement of new firmware, but overall as to what is required to make it a reality, I have no idea. Maybe the camera itself would not be capable of supporting it from a processor perspective. There are several years to find out, so I guess we will see.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have some 3 year ol Amcrest IP2M-841's (Dahua OEM) that want only Chromium-based or Firefox; they'll open with IE11 and you can make config changes but no live video will display. A popup upon opening the webGUI sates "to use Google Chrome", I use Brave, also Chromium-based.

FWIW, I created a shortcut on my desktop that opens IE11 when I need it with no annoying crap or popups from MS and doesn't open Edge without me asking. Works in Win 7 and 10.

Here's the target of the shortcut:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe javascript:open();close()
This is where I got the instructions ==>> How to Get Internet Explorer Back on Windows 10 and 11 In 2023

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
The new Dahua config tool is getting better all the time. Maybe eventually it will do everything we need for Dahua brand cameras. I currently always use the config tool to do any firmware upgrades as it is the recommended way to update.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
As a 20+ year Linux user, it gets a bit frustrating. So far, I haven't had any major issues using Firefox and Pale Moon but I just ordered a Boobiecam. From what I'm reading, it may require IE. Not a fan of plugins, etc but it's not the end of the world as my wife's work laptop has Windows 10 on it. I'd just rather not use her work laptop and there's not a lot of excuses anymore for the camera manufactuers to not support all browsers.