Where are all the 4K PTZ's????

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks...Happy Halloween to everyone!

I've asked about this almost every 12 months or so, but thought I would ping the community again to get some feedback. I have been constantly on the look-out for some new products that feature 4K with PTZ capability. I find it strange that even now (it's almost 2020) there are so few options available. Having purchased one of the Hikvision 4K PTZ 35x Zoom cameras, I know that they exist, but it's a huge monster of a camera and can cost almost $3K. It's a great camera, but I'm really scratching my head as to why there aren't a bunch of other options in different sizes and form factors and price points.

I know the tech exists to shrink these down as Panasonic has been selling a very small PTZ camera for years. Amazon link:

It even has 20x optical zoom! But, I really don't want to spend almost five thousand dollars per camera. It makes me wonder if somehow Panasonic is a patent holder, or has an exclusive on the sensors?

One more thing....I know there is a lot of opinions about the usefulness of 4K cameras, and I concede that there a many points of view. I don't really want to debate that point, but rather see if people have any thoughts as to why this category of product is so sorely lacking in the market.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow...no replies??? I am surprised that no one has an opinion on this? Maybe this is only important to me....but that seems very strange.

Still, this is is kind of the same "crickets" response I got about a year ago, so maybe that should be my first clue! :D

I will just keep looking online to see if some manufacturer pulls the trigger and brings these products to market....

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently did buy the DH-SD8A840WA-HNF it is a impressive camera but again the price of it I would not expect any less.. Auto tracking on this seems to be better than my SD6CE245U-HNI. Low light performance is also decent :D

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to see some folks chiming in here...Thanks Guys!!!

Yeah, I saw that Dahua camera and like the specs...but it's the same bulky form factor as my monster Hik-vision (although a little less in cost). Given that 4K sensors seem to be popping up everywhere in bullet cameras (and only for a $150 bucks or so), I'm still puzzled why there aren't a few options that are smaller in size. That's really what I'm looking for.

I don't mind paying a premium, but when we start talking $5K per camera (like those Panasonics), then it simply stops making sense. Not mention, those cameras are NOT outdoor.

Seems a shame that non of the obvious players in the space have stepped up to provide this need. :confused:

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey bigredfish...in what ways do you mean? Are you talking about low-light performance? or something else?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Also here is a post from Pink and I with some pics and video from the camera. I think @pinko will be soon posting some video as well :D

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why there aren't more affordable 4K PTZs. Obviously it is possible to sell fixed (non-ptz) 4K cameras at a price that is very competitive with 2MP / 4MP cameras. Maybe the lenses for 4K PTZs are prohibitively expensive? Higher resolutions do demand better lenses of course.

Or maybe the manufacturers just want to keep 4K exclusive to more expensive PTZs (with higher profit margins) for as long as possible.