Where Are Temporary Video Files Stored

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I store my videos on an old fashioned hard disk. However, I realized that the currently recorded video stream isn't actually located in that location. There is just a placeholder there. So where are the temporary video files stored? They don't seem to be in C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp, I couldn't find anything in all the Blue Iris Settings tabs and goggling didn't bring up much either. The reason I am asking is because I am concerned they might be stored somewhere on the C drive. The C drive is an SSD so wear with such heavy data movement is a concern. At least I think so.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In my system where all the cams are set to write the videos direct to the hard disks I can new new videos being written directly to the hard disks.

Don’t forget that while BI is writing a video it will most probably be locked open so you can’t double click and view the video until BI has finished writing and closed the file.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So do you see the file size growing or does it also stay at like 1kB? Usually I see the file size grow but maybe in this case for some reason it doesn't and only updates when a new file is being created.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I am using the .BVR file format. Please see the attachments. For the clips I am showing the previous two clips which have a large size and then at the bottom the new one that is currently being "written" to. That one is only 1kB and that stays this way even after a few minutes and me refreshing explorer.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In explorer, If you single click on one of the active files that show size of 1k or thereabout, within a couple of seconds its updated size will display.

Reactions: rfj

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In explorer, If you single click on one of the active files that show size of 1k or thereabout, within a couple of seconds its updated size will display.
Interesting. Before I did press F5 to update but it stayed at 1kB. When I left click on it nothing happens even if I wait 15s. However, when I right click on it, it updates within 1s. Strange but thanks.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First off, don't use "age" to delete files only use size.
If you wait say an hour, do the same files increase in size from the 1k.
See this.
Thank you for that tip and the document. I will make the change.