Where is hardware accelaration in 4.3.7?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just upgrades from 3 to 4 mainly for hardware acceleration but I don't see the "camera" tab in the setting menu.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its a glitch in this update its labeled wwww

thanks found it... i enable HA+ post processing. While BI CPU usage indeed dropped 40% "system and compressed memory" process jumped by as much. Overall CPU remain the same.

I'm using Windows 10 FWIW.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks found it... i enable HA+ post processing. While BI CPU usage indeed dropped 40% "system and compressed memory" process jumped by as much. Overall CPU remain the same.

I'm using Windows 10 FWIW.
Read the release notes for the vpp, in some cases it can make things worse...try using HA alone...also remember to restart BI and preferably the system after making the changes.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read the release notes for the vpp, in some cases it can make things worse...try using HA alone...also remember to restart BI and preferably the system after making the changes.

Play around with the setting, HA alone save over all CPU by 10-15% with the increase of system and memory compression total usage about 40%

HA+PP was a wash averaging 60%. an i7-6700 is calling out to me.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any downsides to using hardware acceleration? I'm running an i7 4790 and 5 cameras and using 7% cpu usage. All cameras set at 10fps. If I bumped them up a few fps and engaged HA would I still be in the 10% range?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any downsides to using hardware acceleration? I'm running an i7 4790 and 5 cameras and using 7% cpu usage. All cameras set at 10fps. If I bumped them up a few fps and engaged HA would I still be in the 10% range?

why don't you try bumping them up to 20fps and see what's the impact. With that said, I'm going to drop mine to 10fps to see how it does

Update: dropped all 9 3mp cameras from 20 fps to 10 fps with little to no impact on CPU. I only did this within BI, I wonder if I need to match this on the camera for it to show any impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
why don't you try bumping them up to 20fps and see what's the impact. With that said, I'm going to drop mine to 10fps to see how it does

Update: dropped all 9 3mp cameras from 20 fps to 10 fps with little to no impact on CPU. I only did this within BI, I wonder if I need to match this on the camera for it to show any impact.
Increased to 15 fps and enabled hardware acceleration. Tried both H.264 as well as video Post Proc. CPU usage jumped up a couple % over 10fps w/no HA.

Problem was that 2 Geovision cameras on system had goofy video. I'm going back to 10fps with no HA. I think I can live with 7 - 9% CPU.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Changing the fps in BI will do absolutely nothing. You must change it in the camera.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changing the fps in BI will do absolutely nothing. You must change it in the camera.
Assuming camera max bitrate at 4096 kbps, continuous recording, do you feel there would be considerable more hard disk space taken up by going from 10fps to 15 or 20?

I'm fine with the video I'm getting at 10fps but obviously would be smoother at a little higher fps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming camera max bitrate at 4096 kbps, continuous recording, do you feel there would be considerable more hard disk space taken up by going from 10fps to 15 or 20?

I'm fine with the video I'm getting at 10fps but obviously would be smoother at a little higher fps.
If the camera is set to constant bitrate, then the FPS setting has not effect on disk space.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the camera is set to constant bitrate, then the FPS setting has not effect on disk space.
So.....when considering the compromise of video quality and storage space do you recommend bitrate type to be set at "constant" with max at 4096?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So.....when considering the compromise of video quality and storage space do you recommend bitrate type to be set at "constant" with max at 4096?
Every application is different. Some cams have vbr that works well and reduces video storage space...others dont...best is to test in your specific scenario.
I generally use 4096 at 15-20fps and 2-5mp and it works for me.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Hardware acceleration + PP and when I record I use bvr direct to disk.
When I look at some video recorded it plays fine, but if I zoom with the scroll wheel, all the video is borked in the colors all shifted.
What is this?

BTW:
This happens only in the recorded clip; if I zoom with the wheel in realtime the colors are ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put an example:

Normal:

Zoomed with colors shifted: