Where to install turret camera I'm about to purchase?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My non-expert opinion would be to move it above the door, and center it physically with the walkway space. Use corridor mode.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Get cctv calculator app it's free to see what lens you want. Because it will depend on you wanting to see person at door or close to face as they approach but you can't have both. I would say a 4mm or a 6mm would be best but a 6mm.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not run two wires? One at an optimal location for faces and people walking up your walkway and another one up high on the ceiling for say a $20 piece of crap looking down just to see if you have packages there. That way you won't miss a thing. If you set the ceiling cam out from the door a bit and have it look in you can also see faces coming out and if your door is open/broken while away. You can upgrade the ceiling cam later and repurpose it for watching mousetraps or birdfeeders later. $40 buys a helluva nice crittercam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as much as I love the starlight varifocal turret I really enjoy having a PTZ @ the front door, but I can see more than you can at that placement.. the PTZ i'd put on the front of that ledge wall hanging out, kinda under the position your suggesting moving the turret too, then it could look out into your yard.

but I have a doorbell sensor and a pressure sensing mat that control my PTZ so it can spend most of the day zoomed in on something else..

If they ever release a mini black face PTZ w/the starlight sensor, I'll be on that like a fly on shit.

shady sales people and questionable figures you can keep a better eye on with a PTZ, but again your kinda in a cooridor so you might rather have the better color low light of the starlight

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously!! I'm so stuck on where to proceed now..

Make yourself a test rig. Get a 5 gal bucket, an 8ft 2x4, and some rocks or concrete. Set 2 x 4 vertically in buckets center, fill with rocks or a little bit of concrete. Then you can mount the cam at any height and change locations until you find the sweet spot.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess the answer is that there are a bunch of good answers. Just make sure that the camera is down fairly low particularly because of the stairs and doesn't get that light directly in the field of view when you aim the lens (angle it to the left slightly). Get at least a 3.6 millimeter lens and if that doesn't give you the vertical field of view you want turn it sideways and use Corridor mode. If you really like it horizontal, then perhaps you could put another camera above looking straight down or slightly back at the door to view the door and package is sitting on the ground. That camera doesn't really need to break the bank. If you want to be able to tune the field of view to your satisfaction, then that PTZ that nayr mentioned would be the cat's meow and could have presets programmed to look for packages and at your front door at the push of a button. Not as good continuous coverage as having two cameras pointing at two different angles continuously though.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW, if it is legal where you are an audio recording at your front door is a very very handy thing to have sometimes. A camera with a built-in mic is great there.