Which 4MM 2MP+ with great IR performance?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gettting overwhelmed with selection. I need couple 4MM 2MP or higher cams. Good IR is most important. Anything in Dahuas under $80 per?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if night time capabilities are most important as you claim; then you'll need the the Starlight Varifocal Turret..

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is pricey for what I need. Plus those would be mounted on poles, which means no cover for snow etc. IR just needs to not hotspot out the faces. Couple LTS Security ones I have now just do too poorly even after I have tweaked settings a bit (doesn't help those are domes). Area I need to cover is not large. Furthest spot is 50' away.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Turret will muont on poles, Its IP67 rated so it'll take whatever weather you throw at it.

IR not hotspoting out faces is largely due to having an auto-iris from a varifocal lens.. you can see in my demo video's I can get very close and the camera very quickly adjusts... its not dimming the IR its narrowing the iris.. Fixed Lens cameras do not have an auto-iris, they have a fixed aperture and have the problem you describe of not adjusting to over-exposed faces.

It is a lil pricey; but it'll absolutely kick the shit out of every camera you've ever encountered in both day/night, in wide angle or not; seriously consider adjusting your budget because for 50% more money will net you 500% more performance.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bit pricey when I want to replace 3 cameras on my "surveillance tree". We have had some vandalism by bored teens in the neighborhood, so deterrent factor no longer good enough. Need to have something for our cops to use as evidence. Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 13.34.02.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how wide is that pole? looks like the turret will mount to it w/out problem.

If your protecting valuable property; dont look at it as a 'bit-pricey' look at it as a good investment.. whats a couple hundred dollars when its watching thousands of dollars in property? You can pay half as much as these Dahua's and get a 1/10th the performance and when the time comes to give that evidence to the LEO you likely wont have very good results and they will be unable to identify the perp(s).. or you can pay the premium now and then later have the best possible evidence you could have gathered.

I'm replacing thousands of dollars in video surveillance equipment with Dahua Starlight Technology; they made every camera I had before it entirely obsolete.. Ive got a whole collection of criminals caught on video, but not a single one has been aprehended yet.. Thats going to change.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ideally I would have a PTZ with PIR motion inputs wired in right there. Point the PTZ directly to the driveway entry (West) and then have motion sensors trigger it to turn either North or South... but probably Starlight is cheaper.

Problem we have is in my area postman just leaves packages on the mailbox. I am yet to have one stolen (knock on wood) but it will happen, so catch license plate would be nice. At night there are some bored neighborhood kids bashing mailboxes etc. My mailbox is really sturdy, so they likely break their bats before they break my box, but I have two retired neighbors I like and if idiots touch their stuff, would love to have LOE catch them.

Only thing I had stolen was my Raspberry Pi based speed camera, which I used to send pictures with speeds to my police chief, who insisted we did not have speeding problem on our very narrow street. He was wrong and apparently recognized couple cars and went to talk to owners. My bet is one of the teens who I caught on the cam got reprimanded and in revenge came and stole the camera, since many in my small town knew of my "crusade".

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since the cameras are 'kinda pricey' and availability right now is kinda hard to get your hands on.. why dont you try one out and compare it to what you have up there, if your impressed you can replace the rest as time/money/availability permit.

A Dahua starlight PTZ is about $350-$650 depending, but outdoor motion sensors are nearly $100 a piece for anything quality that wont be easily false triggered.. If your not working w/great distances you'll get better results with more fixed cameras as nothing will be missed because PTZ was looking at wrong thing at the time.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turrets seem to be sold out, but I prefer bullets/boxes more, since those often have little "hat" to keep snow/rain off the lense. Any in particular I should try out?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the lil hat is to keep the sun glare off the lens, they dont do jack shit for snow/rain as there is typically wind involved (unless your in a dense rainforest and rain only ever comes from straight above).. Ive pulled the hat back on most of my bullets because it gives spiders something infront of the lens to attach to.

The EcoSavvy Starlight Bullets have not hit the market yet; and while I am a big fan of bullets.. the Turrets are much better looking and every bit as functional as a bullet.

Stocks should be coming in for the Turret in the next few weeks, if you want one you'll have to pre-order and wait a lil bit.. they are so f'n good now that the word is out, we are blowing out every bit of stock that is available.

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nayr is right, if you don't believe him just check out the pics/video tests I did last night with that camera. They're located in the 5231 thread here

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Technically this 5231xxx camera is really "inexpensive" fire what you get comparatively...I could not find the "U.S." model number equivalent or price for this camera but if it could be several hundred more.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
[QUOTE="agurkas, post: 146281, member: 18617"I... my Raspberry Pi based speed camera, which I used to send pictures with speeds to my police chief,..".[/QUOTE]

Send picture with speeds?!
Like an actual radar speed of the car going by shown on the image?
Cool! I'd love that.
How the heck does that work? (Separate thread to explain this maybe?)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Only thing I had stolen was my Raspberry Pi based speed camera, which I used to send pictures with speeds to my police chief, who insisted we did not have speeding problem on our very narrow street. He was wrong and apparently recognized couple cars and went to talk to owners. My bet is one of the teens who I caught on the cam got reprimanded and in revenge came and stole the camera, since many in my small town knew of my "crusade".
You were probably hoping they'd install one of those the speed limit is / your speed is signs. Interestingly there are a few of those that alert the police to speeders in real time. Most log the data so they can set up speed traps optimally.

I clocked a Denver Water drought enforcement truck doing 48mph on a residential street a few years ago.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can just go paint a few markers in the road visible from your camera and a known distance apart, then if you need to you can do the math on how many frames it took to move between them since you know your FPS..

Kid came car surfing by my house one day; from the video I calculated they were doing over 40mph with a teenager holding onto the roof after going out and measuring my neighbors fence.