Which AMD CPU for Blue Iris?

zapp7

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm completely new to security cameras and from the reading I have done, I think I want to go with a Blue Iris setup on a dedicated Window machine.

I have several spare components lying around, including a SFF case, an AM4 B550 motherboard, 32GB RAM, 6TB WD Black HDD, power supply, and (very) cheap graphics card. I just need to get an AM4 CPU and I was wondering which one would be suitable and not complete overkill. It's AM4 so I guess my choices are Ryzen 1000,2000, 3000 or 5000 series. I envision having about 5 PoE cameras, but to be conservative let's double that to 10.

Any recommendations for CPU or for other components? I'm willing to spend a bit more if there's a specific advantage for this use case, but otherwise hoping not to waste money.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

I know Intel is the preferred CPU but I built my rig before finding this web site.

I am running 5 Dahua camera using a Ryzen 2700 and 16 GB of RAM, runs like a Swiss watch. My RAM usage runs around 2GB and my CPU runs around 10% + or - a bit. I have a GeForce GTX1650 Super but it is not in use with BI, I have the CPU do all the work.

BI and OS sits on a NVMe M2 drive, 4TB WD purple gives me 30 days of history. Using a Seasonic Platinum power supply.

If I missed anything feel free to ask.

zapp7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! If a 2700 runs well I may just try to find a used 8-core CPU somewhere.

Just curious, do you have a dedicated monitor set up with it or do you use something like Remote Desktop to access it?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the exception of the "Hardware accelerated decoding" which is for qualifying Intel CPU's, insure you perform these linked optimizations below. Use of sub streams is often better than Intel's QuickSync so you should realize some good performance from your AMD.
And as mentioned by @Rob2020 and if you can, install Windows, BI and BI's "db" (database) folder on a SSD, send BI video clips to a surveillance-rated hard drive such a WD Purple or a Seagate SkyHawk.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! If a 2700 runs well I may just try to find a used 8-core CPU somewhere.

Just curious, do you have a dedicated monitor set up with it or do you use something like Remote Desktop to access it?

Both, have a dedicated monitor and PC for the system, but occasionally use the system for odds and ends like spotify, high resolution scanning, photo storage and transfer, etc

I use UI3, Open Source VPN, Pushover, BI paid App, probably something I forgot about:rofl: