Which cable?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which cable do I need Cat5e or cat 6? Just ordered a hikvision 1103 days ago.probably need 50-60 feet of cable.i have a media link router (non gigabit)which place is best to purchase the cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cat5e is sufficient, but I always opt for better quality cable where possible. So if you have Cat6, I would use it. It's generally more robust and will be less susceptible to EM interference, physical damage and wear from the general environment.

A good system is only as reliable as it's weakest point. Not that there is any question that Cat5e isn't fine to use, I'm just big on avoiding any problems down the track and worn or poor quality cable can cause big headaches later on. It's just a bit more reassurance of not having to deal with later I guess.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are not going to crimp your own ends and just use pre-made cable of 50f that monoprice is fine....as lojix says solid is better but I dont know of any premade solid cable...and for 50f its probably wont matter..

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cable is going to be installed along side the wall(outside) and into the house.probably make a hole to slide the cable through the wall.i dont think the cable will get wet since its going to be under the roof.i measured about 39 ft to the end.not counting from inside the house which is probably about 6ft to the router.is it a better idea for the poe switch to be outside? that way i run a cable from poe switch to the router.just in case i start adding more cameras?

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it a better idea for the poe switch to be outside? that way i run a cable from poe switch to the router.
Probably best not to have any exposed network devices (sheltered or not). I would even avoid having exposed cable if possible, even if it can at least be protected by some split tubing or better still, PVC conduit?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll figure something out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm now i'm thinking of hiring somebody to install the cat 6 through the walls.would a cat 6 spool from ebay be good deal? i typed in solid cat 6 cable and found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT6-1000FT-UTP-CABLE-SOLID-23AWG-GRAY-550MHz-NETWORK-ETHERNET-BULK-WIRE-LAN-/270891515922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f12648012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Its copper clad aluminum!!! When they say solid they mean the wires are solid and not stranded. They dont mean solid copper...the specs say CCA.
Stay away, but from monoprice.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm now i'm thinking of hiring somebody to install the cat 6 through the walls.would a cat 6 spool from ebay be good deal? i typed in solid cat 6 cable and found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT6-1000FT-UTP-CABLE-SOLID-23AWG-GRAY-550MHz-NETWORK-ETHERNET-BULK-WIRE-LAN-/270891515922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f12648012
No, that cable is CCA (copper clad aluminum) not solid copper. You want solid copper.

Also if you hire someone to run the cable they will probably want to use their own cable for various reasons.

I ran all my own cable at my house and most professional installers would call it 'shabby' at best :) Though I used factory built cables, didn't put my own ends on because I would rather have the factory-made cables :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.