Popular camera styles:
  • bullet
  • dome
  • turret
  • PTZ
  • cube
  • fisheye
  • box

I have been going through the forum here for a couple of weeks now and there were several posts on this subject. Mostly everyone here is saying that the turret is better in every way. That is, turrets are easier to aim and mount, more vandal proof, better IR, etc. So turret all the way? That is, inside areas (hall ways, living room, garage, etc.) and outside areas (driveway, front porch, backyard, etc.). If not, what are the reasons you would choose another style.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Popular camera styles:
  • bullet
  • dome
  • turret
  • PTZ
  • cube
  • fisheye
  • box

I have been going through the forum here for a couple of weeks now and there were several posts on this subject. Mostly everyone here is saying that the turret is better in every way. That is, turrets are easier to aim and mount, more vandal proof, better IR, etc. So turret all the way? That is, inside areas (hall ways, living room, garage, etc.) and outside areas (driveway, front porch, backyard, etc.). If not, what are the reasons you would choose another style.
Outdoors turret and bullet are generally good choices. PTZ can be good too. In an enclosure, box is good too becasue of interchangeable lenses.
Indoors "cube" and dome are a good choice, but bullet and turret work too.

It depends on your specific application.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Outdoors turret and bullet are generally good choices. PTZ can be good too. In an enclosure, box is good too becasue of interchangeable lenses.
Indoors "cube" and dome are a good choice, but bullet and turret work too.

It depends on your specific application.
I just got a link to a demo site with various camera types. I highly recommend it for someone new to get a "feel" for the different types. I played with it for a few hours and learned a few things:
  • bullet, dome, turret: Once mounted, what you see is what you get. No adjustment for focus, zoom, etc. Great for watching a fixed area (e.g., cars in a garage).
  • PTZ: The camera can zoom in/out, adjust focus, pan 360°, tilt, setup patrols, etc. Great for a large area where one or more fixed camera is not enough (e.g., use on a parking lot so you can pan, tilt, and zoom in/out).
  • fisheye: 360° view of an area.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a link to a demo site with various camera types. I highly recommend it for someone new to get a "feel" for the different types. I played with it for a few hours and learned a few things:
  • bullet, dome, turret: Once mounted, what you see is what you get. No adjustment for focus, zoom, etc. Great for watching a fixed area (e.g., cars in a garage).
  • PTZ: The camera can zoom in/out, adjust focus, pan 360°, tilt, setup patrols, etc. Great for a large area where one or more fixed camera is not enough (e.g., use on a parking lot so you can pan, tilt, and zoom in/out).
  • fisheye: 360° view of an area.
The right camera for you depends on where you're using it. Garages, houses, yards, wharehouses, factories, parking lots, retail stores, daycare centers, etc have very different requirements. Box cameras also work well indoors.

You can get varifocal box, bullet, and dome cameras that can zoom in and out without moving the camera. For general use, fixed cameras work well in many applications. When choosing a fixed camera, the lens size is very important. Check out http://ipvm.com/calculator

Last edited by a moderator:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have bullets and turrets and both are good. No problems with either. As stated above it depends on the application. I also have 4 Huisun PTZ 10X cameras and no problems with them either.