Which camera to complement the 4k-X?

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently I have a 4K-X which I am really happy with, but I would need another camera at a lower angle to complement it in order to get the full face upon intrusion (reason explained by attached image where part of the face is obscured by the cap).

To complement it I want to place a camera below the car charger or by the porch (depending on the closest focus of the camera).

Which of these would perform better at night time for this purpose?
The 4K-X and a dim porch light is lighting the area, so I was thinking an IR cam like the IPC-HFW7442H-ZFR would be a great fit.
However, in case I can get similar still image performance from IPC-T5442TM-AS there is no need to spend 3x the money on the 7442 (especially since I do not need facial recognition). I just want the very best picture quality at night to be able to provide it to the police.

These are the ones I am choosing between;
IPC-HFW7442H-ZFR [435 USD] (365 + up to 70 USD freight DDP incl. VAT depending on qty)
IPC-HFW71242H-Z [430 USD] (Assuming this performs worse than the 4MP version at night otherwise I would not consider the 4MP)
4K-X [229 USD] - Not IR and the LEDs would be an annoyance at the angle I need it to be, but the camera is a performer.
IPC-T5442TM-AS [160 USD]

suggestion.png

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
The 5442 is your best choice.
In videos from the 5442 it seemsnto have issues adapting the IR intensity when subjects get closer tonthe camera. Is that correct?

Would not want to blow out any facial features etc - would need the camera to take care of the IR exposure. The distance to the subject will be 3-15 feet directly moving toward the camera from the street.

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
How come you can't go in full color mode at night? Even if that means adding a bit more light. ID is so much easier in color.
The 4k-x performs better in BW from what I can tell. If I get a second camera I might change the 4k-x to color as the camera closest to the perp will get the facial features (in BW).

Identification has been possible so far in BW. 1 intruder was identified by the police and I have a second case pending (where the face was partially obscured hence the need for anothet camera).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In videos from the 5442 it seemsnto have issues adapting the IR intensity when subjects get closer tonthe camera. Is that correct?

Would not want to blow out any facial features etc - would need the camera to take care of the IR exposure. The distance to the subject will be 3-15 feet directly moving toward the camera from the street.
You are probably watching older videos before Smart IR came out. Smart IR can do a very good job of adjusting the IR as the object gets closer.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The key is to properly dial in the camera based on it's FOV. Don't leave it at factory defaults.