Which camera to pick in my situation

nickon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

First of all, Merry Christmas to you all!

I stumbled upon this forum while I was looking for a good IP camera. I am now convinced that I want to buy a Dahua camera, but I don't really know which one to choose.

I want to place the camera in my hallway, which is about 5 meters long. The camera will be pointed towards the front door, which is about 2 - 2.5m away from the mounting location of the camera. There is a lot of light coming in to the hallway, especially during the night, because of all the street lighting.

I was thinking about buying the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE or the older non -E version from Andy. Especially the latter is very popular on this forum and has a lot of good reviews and reactions. Both cameras have very good low light features, but I don't think I will need those features, because of all the street lights that enlighten my hallway.

Maybe it's a better idea to pick a camera that has more megapixels or a better image sensor with slightly worse low light features?

What do you guys think, because I don't know what to pick anymore :p

The camera will be hard wired and powered by an 12v adapter, so I have no need for a wireless or PoE camera. My Synology nas will record all the images.

Greetings,

Robin

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Robin,

Merry christmas to you also.

I think, when you have enough light you pick in every case a Starlight.

For you hallway i would choose the 4431em-as or the 4221fp-w-28. Its also a starlight camera.

Maybe you need to set a few settings for better sight.

In my opion pick a PoE switch or a injector.

Which Synology nas do you have? There is a version which accept h.265 from your camera which save a lot of space and bandwidth.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

nickon

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I dont really like the esthetics of the smaller camera’s.

What would be the best option in my case: a higher MP camera with worse low light feautures or a lower MP camera with better low light feautures?

What is the benefit of using a PoE switch or injector over an 12v power supply? I already have wall outlets near the mounting place of the camera, so plugging in an 12v power supply seems the best option to me? If i want to use the PoE option i have to buy an PoE injector or a new switch. The only benefit i could think of is having 1 less cable, but the camera is mounted above a cabinet with enough room for cable managment, so i dont mind having to run a second cable.

Greetings